Author Topic: MI's for Churchyard at Inch  (Read 67749 times)

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MI's for Churchyard at Inch
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 03:52 BST (UK) »

Hi Terry & Gadget,

Very many thanks for your great kindness, it really is greatly appreciated. Sorry, Terry, the weather here in Melbourne is a bit windy with passing showers and only about 15 degrees. My daughter is flying to the UK next week for a well deserved holiday. Unfortunately my wife and I can't join her as our flying days appear to be well and truly over.

I was looking at the marriage certificate of Susan Armstrong - (the one who married my Great-Great Grandfather, John Jackson Ferns). I have to be a bit cautious here because the use of the same names over the generations really does get a bit confusing. I note that the 39 year-old John married the 27 year-old Susan Armstrong on the 28th July, 1874 at 4 Windsor Terrace in Glasgow after Banns according to the forms of the United Presbyterian Church.

John's usual residence is shown as Adelaide Place, Gourock and Susan's as Drummore, Kirkmaiden, Stranraer. I thought that was a bit weird since Drummore/Kirkmaiden is about 16 miles down the peninsula from Stranraer - or am I being blinded by Scot's Mist?

Susan Armstrong's parents are as Gadget says - John Armstrong, Coachman (deceased) and Susan Armstrong, M.S. Flatten/Flatton. I have no idea where this couple would have been buried.

I might do a quick look-see (Again!) of the children of John Jackson Ferns and his wife, Susan, to see whether the Scots custom of naming patterns can assist.

Tell me Gadget, do you think that the Moderator of this Board would mind terribly if I continued to make mention of John Jackson Ferns and his wife on this Board? I would think that it should be OK since Susan Armstrong appears to be a lassie born to people from the Dumfries & Galloway area. I say that a bit tongue in cheek because all the different locations, i.e. Wigtownshire, etc., get me a bit confused. Put it down to old age or the effects of medication!!!!!  :o

When I look at the Death Certificate of John Jackson Ferns, it's a great pity that although it certainly shows that he had two marriages, the name of his first wife isn't shown. Drat! However, that wee snippet of information about the possibility of John having served in the Royal Navy might bring something to light.

Again, very many thanks to you both.

My very best wishes.

Tom.

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,

Hope you have some success with your Armstrongs sorry I couldn't be more help but Gadget seems to have been able to help your progress. Unfortunately I am not able to walk about Inch as I live in the Scottish Borders. One of my lines Broll/Brawl came from there or rather should I say I think originally Ireland and that is where I came to a sticky end. I cannot find anyone researching that name. My 3g grandmother was Sarah Broll b Leswalt Wigtownshire who married Andrew Hall (he was from Ireland). They married and lived in Inch all their lives and are buried there. I know the parents f both of them and have the family in all census's and other info on them but can get no further back. There was only one other Broll a John whom I think was her brother (going by the naming pattern), he had a biggish family but no luck with that so far. However as you know you just have to keep on plodding.

Best wishes
Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 23:50 BST (UK) »

Hello Terry,

Many thanks for the information. Yes indeed, the assistance that I'm getting is truly fantastic, and I can't thank "Gadget" enough.

There are several people on the site who would probably be able to help you out, especially if they have a greater knowledge of the area than I do. I have to comment once again on the warm-hearted nature of most people and how they are prepared to help people like you and I.

Again, many thanks and please keep in touch.

Best Wishes,

Tom.

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 26 June 08 04:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Terry

Thank you for your kind offer. Would you please check for John Dorman whom died July 6, 1878, Deerpark, Inch? His wife was Mary nee Nochar. Would there be any other Dormans?

Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 26 June 08 07:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda,

Very sorry but there are no Dorman or Nochar with MI'S in Inch Old Parish Church or Soulseat Burial Ground.

I did find a mention of one in Kirkcolm Old Parish Churchyard don't know if it's of any use but here goes.

Erected by William and James Mcmeikan in memory of their father James who was born 15/10/1772 and died 23/11/1854   aged  82 years. And their mother Agnes Wallace who died 25/4/1862 aged 87. Also Mary McHarg wife of James McMeikan Ervie who died 28/09/1865 aged 30. And Isabella DORMAN wife of William McMeikan St Mary's Croft who died 08/09/1882 aged 74. Also the said William McMeikan who died at Bloomfield Cottage Girvan 14/07/1886 aged 79. Also said James Mcmeikan who died at Ervie 14/01/1887 aged 71 years. Also Isabella McMeikan wife of Peter Fergusson who died at Bloomfield Cottage Girvan 25/12/1891 aged 38.

Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 26 June 08 07:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,

Yes it's fantastic the help you get. I have been at this for about 28 years but am really stuck with the Brolls/Brawls. Hopefully someone somewhere will come on my query. Good luck with your 'hunting'.

Best wishes

Terry
 PS   Weather still awful here!!

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 27 June 08 00:54 BST (UK) »

Hello Terry,

I know exactly how you feel when you come up against that proverbial brick wall, believe me. There really are some fine people out there who have helped me out on countless occasions. I've mentioned them quite openly on RootsChat and expressed my gratitude publicly. Maybe people like Gadget, Monica and Sancti could give you a bit of a hand with your search. They performed miracles for me when I was really stuck, and they did it with the minimum of fuss. They really are a very nice group of people.

Best wishes, as always,

Tom.

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 27 June 08 07:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,

Gadget and Sancti have both looked at my query so I am moving on. I spent time yesterday refreshing myself with the Broll/Brawl details. Gadget is looking at quite a lot of things for me. Thanks to her I picked up the Kirkcolm deaths later last night and have found one for a Janet Stewart died 04/02/1830, perhaps this may be Sarah's mother. Also Sancti came up with a Jane Broll having a John Broll in 1818. Hopefully another daughter of John Broll/Janet Stewart.
Just as I start to get some details I'm of on holiday on the 30th for 2 weeks (bad timing). So keeping everything in a notebook 'til I get back, will have to start preparing for hols!!

I haven't really posted many queries here more offered to do look ups so I'm really chuffed that there are people who take an interest. You are certainly moving on with your Armstrong query now.

Well got to get back to these Irishmen/women?

Best wishes

Terry

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 27 June 08 09:29 BST (UK) »

Hello Terry,

So there you are. I told you that people like Gadget, Monica and Sancti were really nice people, didn't I.

Yes, I seem to be motoring on quite well now, and so maybe I should just keep on taking the tablets - not the cyanide ones, I hasten to add  ;D

My very best wishes to you and yours and have a good holiday.

Tom.