Author Topic: town prison Birmingham  (Read 8761 times)

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: town prison Birmingham
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 March 08 09:51 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if the debtors' prison was connected to the court?
The court leet was held in a building off the High Street ~ in Court House Yard. There are photos of the court building, which was demolished in 1903,  in 'Images of England ~ Central Birmingham 1879-1920'.
I believe that the pictures are from the collection in Birmingham Central Library.
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones

Offline tinav40

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 March 08 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi again
Thanks for all your help.
The prison in my small town used to be in the town hall. It too was very small so the debtors prison could have been part of the court building.
Once again thanks for the help.
I've been trying to find the photo you mentioned on  www.imagesofengland.org is this the correct website as I can't seem to find it.
Tina  ;)

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 March 08 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Just to throw a spanner in the thoughts.  I've been to library & looked at 1841 census.

If you look at 1841 image on Ancestry above image will be

"You are here: Search > Census > UK Census Collection > 1841 England Census > Warwickshire > Birmingham > St Peter > District Town Prison Birmingham"

Click on the 'St Peter' in above & then scroll down to bottom of page where last enumeration district is for Town Prison.

District above this is 'District Court of Requests Prison Birmingham' to the right of this click on 'View description of enumeration district' & up pops a page with 'Name of Institution' as the Debtors Prison!!!

So Tina if your man is not in here then he must have been in Moor St goal in 1841 & served his 4 years at Warwick prison as in my last post "Moor Street gaol, though enlarged in 1830, (fn. 97) was inadequate and between 1837 and 1849 was used only for prisoners immediately before trial and immediately after conviction. Between committal and trial, and to serve their sentences, prisoners were sent to the county gaol at Warwick".

Perhaps he had been brought back to Birmingham for release or suchlike.  Have you tried to find his sentence from the court records, I think Birmingham Archives hold court records - not sure of coverage though best to ask them, they are usually helpful.  TonyR.
Rooney Carlow/Wicklow to Dublin to Belfast to Birmingham. Johnston & Smyth Co Down. Crowe & Ryan Tipperary. Day, Rhodes & Johnston Barrow-in-Furness. Day, Bailey & Page Bedford. Day & Mead Somerset. Rhodes, White & Taylor Swadlincote. Reynolds Haverfordwest. Weekly Fishguard. Barzey Wales.

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 March 08 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Regarding the pictures of the court building, they are in an 'Images of England' book that I have ~ but should also be at Birmingham Central Library ~ which also houses the archives.

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 06 March 08 17:58 GMT (UK) »
If he went to prison after the census was taken and was only in for four years, perhaps he was in the Debtors prison ~ somewhere near or in the court building ~ for part of the term.

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 06 March 08 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tricia, if I read it right Tina has him in Town Prison in 1841 census after sentencing in 1837 as reported in London Gazette.  So my logic says that if he was in Town Prison census night then he couldn't have been in Debtors Prison at same time, unless someone knows different.

Regards, TonyR.  PS Tricia, how are you getting on with my brother and his Jeans, Genes, Jeynes, etc, etc?
Rooney Carlow/Wicklow to Dublin to Belfast to Birmingham. Johnston & Smyth Co Down. Crowe & Ryan Tipperary. Day, Rhodes & Johnston Barrow-in-Furness. Day, Bailey & Page Bedford. Day & Mead Somerset. Rhodes, White & Taylor Swadlincote. Reynolds Haverfordwest. Weekly Fishguard. Barzey Wales.

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 06 March 08 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tony ~ I didn't know I'd been in touch with your brother??!!  ???

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 06 March 08 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tricia, they say memory is the first to go - I contacted you re Gloucester Jeans in your profile & passed my brother's details on.  His wife Doreen is a Jeynes, from William & Thomas I think, last I heard you were both connected.  TonyR.