Author Topic: George WISE & Anne WERNAM  (Read 3161 times)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George WISE & Anne WERNAM
« on: Sunday 02 March 08 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

George Wise and Anne Wernam were married on 20/10/1768 in Pakenham, Suffolk.  They moved down to Fawley, Berkshire where they settled and had six children.  George was buried there in 1818.

I am afraid I know very little of the county of Suffolk and being in Spain doesn't help!  Is it likely that they were born in Suffolk and moved out because of the shortage of farming jobs around 1770?

I have looked at the Suffolk surnames and both names seem to be very uncommon.  Any opinions very welcome. 
Regards, Abiam

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
Re: George Wise and Anne Wernam
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 March 08 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Abiam

George and Anne could have moved from Suffolk to Berkshire for a variety of reasons. As you say, employment prospects may have been the main driver. Our ancestors were more mobile than we give them credit for. A family will stay in one area for several generations, and then suddenly pop up in a completely different part of the country.

If the Suffolk Burials Index is anything to go by, I agree that neither surname crops up that often. (In fact I can see only one example of Anne's surname - a child called Murial Maud Wernham who was buried in Ispwich in 1900.) This makes me think that George and Anne weren't Suffolk folk in the first place.

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Wise and Anne Wernam
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 March 08 00:21 GMT (UK) »
I suppose you've seen this site already Abiam:

http://www.nationaltrustnames.org.uk/

There's nothing for Wernam, but try Dave's spelling of Wernham and note the distribution. This supports what you and Dave say about the surnames being uncommon in Suffolk.

Have you checked their marriage entry and children's births in case there is information about where George and Anne are from? As couples usually married in the bride's parish, it's possible that George is a Berkshire lad originally and maybe Anne was from Packenham. Her family may have originated elsewhere and gone to Suffolk for work, rather than the other way around  :-\. What industries were in Suffolk? Sheep? wheat? farming?
All wild guesswork, but fun to try to work out the comings and goings ...

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: George WISE & Anne WERNAM
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 March 08 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your replies.  We have no definite idea of where either were born!  Just that they lived in Fawley and he was buried in Fawley.  There are loads of both names in that part of Berkshire and I think that is probably where we will find them......eventually. 

I was just a little concerned that all efforts were concentrated in the Berks area and they may well have originated further north.  I know a lot of Wises were from the north of England but so far we do not have a connection with them.

Thank you for your thoughts - back to the Berkshire drawing board,
Regards,
Anbiam