Author Topic: John Southon  (Read 8602 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Southon
« Reply #36 on: Friday 07 March 08 04:47 GMT (UK) »
Now that I have read more of the oral history I see that it was written by young Caleb's half-sister from Caleb senior's second marriage.
The second youngest son of the six sons of Henry was Caleb, who first married Louisa Elizabeth Harris 1853 in England...(who died of consumption in Canada) He married Elizabeth Boorman in England in 1868 ..moved to U.S. for a time, then back to Canada...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
following the link in Reply # 35 above to the immigration to Canada board...there is more on the family in Canada.  J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 13 March 08 08:20 GMT (UK) »
There are some more SOUTHON wills among the Archdeaconry Court of Canterbury Wills on the Kent Archaeological Society Site.

http://www.kentarchaeology.ac/ekwills_a/series/adci/adc_si.htm
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Marden53

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 05 May 08 12:54 BST (UK) »
Just found this site and registered.

John Southon and Jane Findley were my great great grandparents I have copies of some of the relevant documents which I will transcribe later.

John married Jane (of Albany, NY) in Cobourg Canada and arrived in Australia in 1853 as noted with his two brothers. A lithograph of the 1853 "Kent" is available. They and their siblings were not left a large sum by their late grandfather Stephen (they were sons of his dead younger son), most of the family lands went to his eldest son, Stephen jnr.

The Canadian book referenced is not entirely accurate.

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 05 May 08 13:02 BST (UK) »
Ooooh! this story continues.  :D

Welcome to Rootschat Marden.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline poppyann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 06 May 08 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Martha, if you do a search for kent wills you will see the will of Stephen Southon snr. Poppyann

Offline poppyann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 07 May 08 07:30 BST (UK) »
Martha, if you look on immigrants to Canada you will see a long threadabout the Southon brothers and possible links for finding information. Poppyann

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 07 May 08 21:19 BST (UK) »
Marden53...welcome to rootschat...poppyann refers to reply #35 above, there is a link to get you there. Feel free to correct the speculation in there if you have proof otherwise...
Poppyann, M 53 is offering transcriptions of documention. I know we'd all love to see those on here....as would anyone else researching the family!
 ;D
J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com