Author Topic: Golden Square church  (Read 6318 times)

Offline laineychr

• RootsChat Extra
  • i advance
    • View Profile
Re: Golden Square church
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 18:37 GMT (UK) »
I did say I was asking a daft question..lol
 Thankyou for answering & the marriage record actually confirms it by what he has written all the marriages (6) on this copy
He has confirmed that they were all performed in Berwickshire Scotland
but hasn't on the christenings it just says they were born in Berwick & christened by him
Elaine
Bartram. middx limehouse, st pancras, islington, Berwick-upon-Tweed, northumberland.
Webb. middx,
Hanwell. marylebone, St Pancras
Easton. Stepney middx.
Richards. Stepney
Baker. Kent
Wilson. Kent!
McKinney,McMullan: rasharkin antrim.
Scott. county cork,Ireland & ST Pancras Middlesex London

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 21:30 GMT (UK) »
There would be no need for someone to travel with an infant to a toll house in Scotland.  One can be baptised anywhere really.  They were most likely done in the Golden Square church there in Berwick upon Tweed.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Northerngirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lainey

Just to add my pennies worth to the discussion.

Lamberton Tollhouse was indeed the place for irregular marriages and the ceremonies went on for quite some years.  Lots of Presbyterians who refused to acknowledge the state church of the Church of England married under this irregular marriage system and it is presumed that the marriage was blessed in their own church at a later date.  As Golden Square was Presbyterian it is likely that their children were baptized there.  There are quite a few sites dedicated to the history of this curious marriage system.  Lamberton Tollhouse is now completely gone  hidden under tarmac and is at this moment, no doubt, being trampled on by heavy articulated lorries trundling their way up the A1 from England to Scotland.  There is a plaque that marks the spot in a lay-by on the border area at Berwick.

The history of the irregular marriages informs that up to 15 wedding rings a day were purchased at one time as the parties were in Berwick for the Tuesday Market and got hitched then.  My own great great grandparents married at Lamberton in 1856 and this is documented in the Berwick newspaper.

Hope this is of some help.
J.A.
SCOTLAND
KBC interests - Murray and Shaw: Blacklock and Kirkland.
DMS interests - as KBC.

ENGLAND
Northumberland
Murray: > 1920 in Longbenton/Forest Hall; Howick 1920's
Elliott: North Nbld 1800's
Straughan/Straphen: North Nbld 1800's and 1910's/1920's Craster.
Henderson(nee Elliott)/Brodie Haydon Bridge 1900's
Bell (nee Elliott) Christon Bank/Embleton 1900's

IRELAND
County Mayo
Mills: Erris Head and Gortmellia
Mullarky: as same
Ginnelly: as same