Author Topic: 1841/1851 Census - BOWEN  (Read 5661 times)

Offline SteveSims

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Member
  • English + Irish + Welsh + Scots + German = Aussie
    • View Profile
Re: 1841/1851 census
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 February 05 14:44 GMT (UK) »
The 1841 says "Y" to "Born in County?" which doesn't narrow it down much...

Your best hope is to get details of the 1851 where the full entry should give birthplace. I don't know if the index details posted by Mikey in 1st reply, mean Kington is the census place, or the birth place?

Unfortunately I can't help with 1851 as I only have the Hereford-only pieces (piece number 2492 includes Kington but is in a mostly Welsh registration district).

Steve
My English ancestry from Berkshire Buckingham Cumberland Gloucester Hereford Hampshire Lancashire London Somerset Staffordshire Warwick Wiltshire Worcester Yorkshire ... so far

Offline DeComyn

• RootsChat Member
  • The elusive Amy Bowen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 February 05 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Steve, how does getting hold of the 1851 census work? From what you say, I take it you can get only part of the county, rather than the county as a whole, which was what I assumed would be the case.
Thanks
Morgan/ -Hereford, Gloucester, Pontypridd
Bowen/ Bibby/Wright - Hereford
Whitney - Hereford, Staffs, Notts
Lockett/ Price  - Kington Hereford
Bradshaw, Chell, Goodwin - Stoke on Trent
Henk, Toft - Stoke on Trent

Offline SteveSims

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 February 05 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Re 1851 census coverage - it depends on whose product you buy. My set only covers piece numbers 1975-1981, which is also the case with some other sets I've looked at. Hopefully there is some product that covers the whole county?

Places in "Welsh" registration districts have 2xxx piece numbers eg. Kington 2492. If you need these pieces,  make sure you read the fine print (else ask the vendor) before buying! And please let me know if you find a good set with full coverage - I have Kington interests too (BAYNHAM).

Border-crossing RDs are just an extra challenge researching Hereford - apart from my Herefordshire folk actually wandering off to Wales from time to time...

BTW you can check 1851 piece numbers at National Archives catalogue search:
http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/search.asp

Enter the place name, with dates 1851-1851 and department code HO107.

Cheers
Steve
My English ancestry from Berkshire Buckingham Cumberland Gloucester Hereford Hampshire Lancashire London Somerset Staffordshire Warwick Wiltshire Worcester Yorkshire ... so far

Offline DeComyn

• RootsChat Member
  • The elusive Amy Bowen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 February 05 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Steve for the info (and the warnings),  I understand now!
Is there anyone in particular in Kington from your Baynhams that is proving elusive? Whilst I'm looking at things I may stumble across something (stumble probably being the right word!) There seems such little activity on the Hereford board compared with others that's it's probably useful to keep our eyes peeled for other people's relatives as well as our own, particularly if they're from the same place.
Thanks
Francesca
Morgan/ -Hereford, Gloucester, Pontypridd
Bowen/ Bibby/Wright - Hereford
Whitney - Hereford, Staffs, Notts
Lockett/ Price  - Kington Hereford
Bradshaw, Chell, Goodwin - Stoke on Trent
Henk, Toft - Stoke on Trent

Offline SteveSims

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 17 February 05 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Francesca,

I'm probably pretty right for my Kington BAYNHAMs - they have not been too hard to track down - I don't have them in 51 census, but I do in 41, 71, 81, 91, plus various hatchings matchings and dispatchings - though any extras never hurt of course...

They were plumbers, painters, glaziers, glass dealers, etc. in Bridge Street for much of the 1800's, so I have them in directories as well as census.

My g5-grandparents William BAYNHAM (b. Mansell Lacy) & Catherine GOODE (b. Yazor) moved to Pembridge in 1790s, then Kington in 1800s, with at least 2 of their 8 children (my branch stayed in the Yazor area - my biggest interest). The paint & glass business was continued by their son George, then later by his widow Susannah James LEWIS (a Kington girl).

William's sister Sarah is also my g5-grandmother (due to two 2nd cousins marrying in my ancestry) so I'm a BAYNHAM-BAYNHAM and naturally they are my favourite line.

My real mystery is William & Sarah's parents - Samuel BAYNHAM or BAINHAM, and Elizabeth WHO? - both buried at Mansell Lacy in 1773, but the backward trail currently ends with them. I must post my HEF trees on the general board when I get organised (if ever).

Cheers
Steve

Offline pandora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 02 May 06 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Galante,
 I have Caroline Bowen marrying John Bounds at Kington in 1860.Living at Brick Kilns, Kingswood 1891 census Hope this might help.

pandora
Jones.  Kidwelly, Wales
Harries/Harris. Wales
White. Hampshire
Sutton. Kent

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 02 May 06 08:31 BST (UK) »
Samuel Baynham married Elizabeth Eckley, both from Mansell Lacey at Hereford Cathedral in May 1750

Offline SteveSims

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 14 May 06 03:37 BST (UK) »
EBN,

Thank you so much for the ECKLEY name in this marriage! This is my biggest 18C brick wall, and now a chink of light shows...

I knew that Samuel & Elizabeth BAYNHAM were my g6 grandparents twice (I'm descended from both their daughter Sarah and their son William, via a later 2nd cousin marriage).

Now it gets more so, as William married Catherine GOODE, whose grandmother was one Joyce ECKLEY of Yazor... seems there was a small pool of yeomenry in this area!

Cheers
Steve Eckley-Eckley-Baynham-Baynam

PS I can only count to 20 on my fingers and toes, so no obvious problem with all this consanguinity...

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 14 May 06 09:32 BST (UK) »

Did you know there is a small area in Kington called Baynham's Yard in Bridge Street. It has a blue nameplate and is a small courtyard of cottages.