Author Topic: York and Lancaster Regiment look-up?++  (Read 2364 times)

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
York and Lancaster Regiment look-up?++
« on: Tuesday 04 March 08 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I don't know if there are any experts out there on this regiment, but if there are could you please do a look-up for me?

I have just found out that my grandfather Thomas Ford was a machine gunner with the regiment.  His number was 6-3384.  He received the MM in 1917.  There was a newspaper article about him in The Midland Daily Telegraph on 4th September 1917.  He was severely shell-shocked and it says that his bravery has been recognised by other decorations.

I have looked in the medal rolls, and can't find him.  I've also looked in the pension records and service records on ancestry, maybe his records were in the burnt records, or haven't been put on yet.

I would love to know more about how he earned the Military Medal, or even which other medals he received.

Rosemary

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: York and Lancaster Regiment look-up?++
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Some confusion as to his service number at a guess.

This looks like him, so I'd say the newspaper probably got his number wrong.  :)
3/3364 to 6-3384. Easily done.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=3701454&queryType=1&resultcount=56
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Wow that was fast Neil :)

I did wonder about that one in the medal roll, but the London Gazette confirms that the newspaper article had his number wrong.  Thank you so much for that.  I can hopefully find out more now.  I don't know much about the York and Lancaster Regiment at all, I've been concentrating on the Coldstream Guards, who he served with in the Boer war.

Any info about the regiment would be much appreciated.  He was a machine gunner, something else I'll have to read up on.

Rosemary

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 March 08 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil

I downloaded his MIC.  He also received the victory, 15 star, British ?, and SWB.  He served in the Balkan theatre of war.

I can understand most of it, but it looks like his MM and SWB were found and returned at some time. 

It's a lovely feeling when you see all the information there for you, like telling a story.

Rosemary

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 March 08 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Rosemary
Has he got two MICs one for the MM and the other for campaign service and SWB.

The MIC with SWB listing means you can search the SWB List find his entry and it should say when discharged and why...Either wounds or sickness.

The numbers next to his medals refer to the Actual Rolls at the NA and are not searchable online :(

The Y+L museum is at Rotherham.What was his date of entry to theatre ? its possible to pin this to a Regiment.

The unit War diary may be your best bet for finding how he won his MM or local papers.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 March 08 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy

Here's the medal roll.  It looks like everything is on the one MIC.  His date of discharge is given on the card.  I have a newspaper clipping (copied and sent to me) about him, in the Midland Daily Telegraph.  It was when he received the MM, and says that he was discharged through shell shock.  He was also badly wounded three times.  Apparently he became a patient at one of the London hospitals.  It says that he received a very good appointment in London, but shell shock once more asserted itself.

I've no idea what the appointment was, but apparently he became a valet to an officer, where he met my grandmother.

I'm still finding out things about him, so this could eventually all become clear eventually.

I'm going to search through all the different leads tonight.  Although it says that he was a machine gunner, it doesn't mention a unit in the newspaper article, which is frustrating.

Rosemary

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 March 08 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi
It looks like they were found in 1935  and returned.
Do you have any of his medals? the SWB was issued and they were numbered individually so you have that number too.

His unit may originally be 3rd Batt with the 3/prefix on his number Ill check dates of deployment and get back to you.

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 March 08 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Dates checked.
He probably enlisted in the 3rd Batt V early in war...3rd Batt were the reserve Batt and didnt serve overseas but they supplied replacements for casualties or to boost new Battalions strength.

He is almost certainly a 6th Batt member they are the only York and Lancasters to deploy overseas that date they sailed from Liverpool to Gallipolli and took part in operations there.They then were transferred to the Western Front.

The 6th Y+L Regiment were part of the 11th(Northern) Div a google will give you lots of info.

http://www.1914-1918.net/11div.htm

Ady :)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)