Author Topic: Advice on how to obtain a birth reg. 1874 in Belleek  (Read 3133 times)

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Advice on how to obtain a birth reg. 1874 in Belleek
« on: Wednesday 05 March 08 02:34 GMT (UK) »
I am seeking advice on how to obtain a birth registration in Belleek, Co. Fermanagh for a specific date in 1874- Church of Ireland registration. This would have also been registered civil, by the government, correct? The person in question was adopted and born with another surname (unknown). I have his exact date of birth from his army records. Is there any website online that I can order from directly? Thanks for any help.  :)

Offline OTTO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on how to obtain a birth reg. 1874 in Belleek
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 March 08 09:13 GMT (UK) »
This is the site that you need. You would be better to speak with someone first though. Tel : 028 9025 2000

http://www.groni.gov.uk/ 

Good luck
OTTO

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on how to obtain a birth reg. 1874 in Belleek
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 March 08 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Am a bit confused as to what sort of information you are trying to get.
Civil registrations of birth (birth certificates) have nothing to do with any church or religion. The information Otto posted will help with that.
Baptismal records are a different matter and each religion and church keep the records in different ways. Note: some early (pre-1880ish) Church of Ireland registers were sent to Dublin for 'safekeeping' and consequently were lost during civil war.
As to tracing the birth certificate of an adopted person (before offical adoptions took place) you might need to have the birth name to order the certificate but GRONI will be able to advise if they can help. There is always the possibilty the the Army records aren't quite accurate as many applicants gave a false age in order to enlist.
If GRONI can't help your other option would be to go through the microfilm of birth registrations for whatever registration district Belleek came under and see if you can find the records you are looking for.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!