Author Topic: John DYER  (Read 3802 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
John DYER
« on: Wednesday 05 March 08 08:11 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for any information re birth, marriage and death of John DYER who was a clerk at The Admiralty from 1792, rising to be Chief Clerk from 1819-1832;  he had eight children born from 1796 to 1810 all baptised in Greenwich, one of his sons was Samuel Dyer, a missionary to China and Malaysia.  John is mentioned in a Wikipedia entry about Samuel,

I have been given a date for John's marriage with Eliza Seager at St Clement Danes, Westminster 4 Jan 1796 but another source quotes his wife's name as Lydia Eliza Shephard.  I have not yet tried to obtain ceertificates of hi marriage and cannot seem to find a death notification, nor an obituary.

I would be grateful for any information.

Thanks, judb
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John DYER
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 March 08 08:40 GMT (UK) »
ext rec IGI
marriage
john dyer-eliza seager
date. 4th january 1796
place st.clement danes,westminster,london.

cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 March 08 11:45 GMT (UK) »
There is also a Lydia Shepherd/John Dyer marriage on the IGI in Portsmouth in 1791, and children born in London and christened up past John's marriage to Eliza Seager (but maybe born before and not christened until later?)

Hopefully, the original John Dyer/Eliza Seager marriage would say if he was a widower or not.

Children as far as I can find:

Lydia, 1796
John Jones, 1799
George Shepherd, 1801
Henry Anderson, 1802
Samuel, 1804
William, 1805
Ann Emes, 1808 (probably 'Ann Jones', see marriage below).
Emma, 1810

Now, Lydia through Henry were baptised at the Greenwich hospital, and the later children at the independent chapel.

There is a 1819 record in The Times for the marriage of a Lydia Dyer, daughter of John Dyer Esq of Royal Hospital, Greenwich, listed as 'third daughter'. (Married Lieut Samuel Meredith, RN). (different Lydia?)

The following are definitely this family:
The Times, Tuesday, Feb 06, 1838; pg. 7; Issue 16645; col F
On the 27th ult, at his residence, St. George square, Edinburgh, Dr. Henry Anderson Dyer, third son of John Dyer, Esq, Chicklade-lodge, Wilts, and late Chief Clerk of the Admiralty, in the 35th year of his age, universally beloved and lamented by his numerous family and friends.

The Times, Monday, Jul 29, 1839; pg. 7; Issue 17106; col D
At Greenwich, on the 27th inst, Mrs John Jones Dyer, of a daughter

The Times, Thursday, Sep 02, 1841; pg. 7; Issue 17765; col E
On the 30th ult, at Mere, Wilts, the lady of John Jones Dyer, Esq, of a son.

Found his death!
by looking for the Wiltshire address
via
http://books.google.co.uk
Gentleman's Magazine (1848)
1847 deaths, I think
Jan 6 - at Upper Clapton, aged 79, John Dyer, Esq, formerly of Chicklade Lodge, near Hinton, for many years Secretary of the Royal Hospital for Seamen at Greenwich, afterwards Chief Clerk of the Admiralty, and one of her Majesty's Justices of the Peace for Wiltshire.

There is also a mention of him being at Chicklade Lodge in 1825 on Google.

And in the Gentleman's Magazine of 1850 - marriage of Ann Jones Dyer, fourth daughter of the late John Dyer of Chicklade-lodge, Wilts, formerly chief clerk Adm and JP, to George Wailes, a solicitor of Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

Now, the mention of Lydia being third and Ann being fourth daughter suggests there were two earlier  daughters, which might fit with Lydia Eliza Shepherd being the wife - and going by Eliza - as does the middle name of George.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/ has his will - John Dyer, 1847, Upper Clapton. That should give you some more info on his relatives, hopefully.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,284316.0.html - John Jones Dyer's census records over here.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 March 08 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, thank you.

I am only a beginner in genealogy and it is fascinating.  The help I have had from this site is utterly amazing.  I thought I had tried IGI but obviously missed something somewhere along the way.

John Dyer is my 3x great grandfather; his grandson John Midlane Dyer emigrated to Australia iin 1871.

Once again - very many thanks!
judb
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 06:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jorose

A couple of weeks ago you kindly replied with information as follows:

There is also a Lydia Shepherd/John Dyer marriage on the IGI in Portsmouth in 1791, and children born in London and christened up past John's marriage to Eliza Seager (but maybe born before and not christened until later?)

Can you give me some reference to the children?  I know John Dyer was a clerk with the Admiralty from 1793 so I suppose he could easily have been living in East Greenwich in 1791 as described on a church transcript of the Portsmouth marriage. 
I am waiting on the cert from the 1796 Seager marriage in London.  A private website gives the mother of his children as 'Lydia Dyer'; Wikipedia's entry about his missionary son Samuel gives the mother as Eliza.  I have an 1834 death notice from a newspaper of Eliza Dyer wife of John Dyer so I believe he was definitely married to Eliza.  (He married again after that.)  It is the Lydia Sheherd marriage that has me intrigued, especially as the first child I have is named Lydia and the third child has Shepherd as his second name.

Thanks anyway!  judb

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 09:44 GMT (UK) »
To do a parent search on the IGI, enter just the region, father's first and last name, mother's first name (mother's last name optional, but usually not a good idea for English records).

Possible children then to John Dyer and Lydia in London:

James, chrs. Mar 1793, St. Botolph Without Aldgate
George, chrs. Jul 1797, St. Boltolph Without Aldgate
Lydia, chrs. Nov 1799, St. Boltolph Without Aldgate

This might be a red herring (especially since I see there's another Lydia about), but worth keeping in mind. I wonder just how many Mrs Lydia Dyers there were running about London at the time! ;)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again JoRose.

There may not be so many Lydia Dyers but boy, there are a lot of John Dyers! 

Cheers, judb