Author Topic: william gardner  (Read 1497 times)

Offline seamer

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
william gardner
« on: Wednesday 05 March 08 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Looking for information re william gardner, 1871 census living in jarrow, with inn keeper joseph oliver and wife jane. born about 1842 in borders area?

Offline stuizzy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: william gardner
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 March 08 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Firstly, welcome.

There's not really much to go on here. Do you know anything else about him at all? Did he marry in England and stay there? Or did he go back to Scotland? William Gardner seems to be quite a popular name in Scotland. There are 18 born around the right sort of time listed in the 1861 census in Scotland! :-\ Are you looking for a particular William Gardner and just found this one, and are trying to decide if he's the right one?

I know that a lot of Scottish workers moved to County Durham at that time to work in the shipyards, and I see that William was a coppersmith. My husband's g.grandfather, a joiner, moved down from Elgin, started in Jarrow, and stayed in Hartlepool.

If you put down all the information that you have, however small, it all helps.

Good luck
Isobel

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: william gardner
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 March 08 13:24 GMT (UK) »
I had a look at the 1881 census for England. It seems William did remain in England and married to a Jane (surname Burnand, per FreeBMD?). If it's the right one, the marriage cert. should tell you his father's name and occupation. It'll definitely help with such a popular name. ;)

Children's names sometimes help to get back a generation. In this case, William and Jane had Margaret, Thomas and John W.

hume24