Author Topic: Annan 1841 census  (Read 1188 times)

Offline LizzyDow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Annan 1841 census
« on: Wednesday 05 March 08 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everyone,

I am hoping someone might do a look up for me from the 1841 Annan census.
I am looking for the record for John Kearney, born 1806 in Ireland, and his wife Mary, born @1816 and their child James who was 4 months at the time the census was taken.

John Kearney was born in Limerick Ireland in 1806 and I am hoping this record will give where he was born in Ireland.

I am also interested in learning more about the immigration and emigration from Ireland  to Scotland and then onto Canada. Was this a common occurrence? Did the Irish leave Ireland, travel to Scotland and then continue onto Canadian ports?

My Kearney family would not have remained in Annan or in Scotland or England for that matter. They immigrated to Saint John NB Canada in 1841-1842.

Thank you for all your help. It is greatly appreciated.
Regards, Liz Yarmouth Maine

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Annan 1841 census
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 March 08 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz,

This definitely looks like your family in Annan. However, Ancestry has James as 4 weeks old rather than 4 months. Unfortunately, no further clue to John's birthplace other than Ireland. :(

Address: Totthill, Annan, Dumfriesshire
John Kearney, m, 35, lab, Ireland
Mary ", f, 25, -, Ireland
James ", m, 4 weeks, born in county

Do you have Mary's maiden name, perhaps from a death record in Canada? The IGI may bring up a marriage. I do notice one already ... John Kearney to Mary Hollaghan, mar. 30th January 1838 in Inchigeelagh parish, Cork county.

hume24

Offline LizzyDow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 March 08 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi There,

Thank you very much!. I was incorrect in my age of James, it was 4 weeks, not 4 months.

According to Mary's death record, her father's name was Scanlon/Scanlan....however, she died in Yarmouth Maine, USA,  and I would not be at all surprised if her children were wrong. Hallaghan and Scanlon/Scanlan could be confused for one another.

I have a great, great grandmother whose children wrote her mother's maiden name incorrectly on her death record. It would not be impossible for this marriage to be the right one.  The year of the marriage would be possible. Mary was born in 1815/6. She would have been about 23.

I will do some more research on this Kearney family.
If you learn any more, please let me know if you could.
Thank you again.
Warmest Regards, Liz

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 March 08 14:50 GMT (UK) »
It was only a possible, so it may turn out to be the wrong family. ;D However, I just wanted to add I have Scanlans from Ireland too. The earliest that I can find is George Scanlan (c. 1825 Ireland - 1898 Dreghorn, Ayrshire), son of Robert John Scanlan and Sarah Rainie. :)

hume24