Author Topic: DUNBAR & EGAN Eyrecourt  (Read 3674 times)

Offline jo brennan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DUNBAR & EGAN Eyrecourt
« on: Thursday 06 March 08 03:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

This is my first post on the Galway site, well done it's a fantastic forum!!  I have traced my Galway Roots, with many thanks to those who compiled the Galway Immigrants Index to Australia.

I wonder if there is any further information on the following people, though expect there may be no more.  Births, Marriages, deaths and occupations are of interest.

James DUNBAR, b.? still alive and a weaver in 1842, Eyrecourt, Galway
I have found reference to a James DUNBAR as Keeper of the Bridewell, first entry 1849 and the last 1878, and wonder if they are one and the same, or was there more than one of this name in that era.

There is an unmarked grave for a James DUNBAR, in the Church of Ireland cemetery, the grave was vandalised a way back, it was the only indication of a James DUNBAR to be found in Eyrecourt.  Though do not have a date of death.  A possible connection to his father being Robert.

He was married to Catherine EGAN, of whom I have no further detail.

They had the following children

Rebecca DUNBAR born about 1819 in Eyrecourt, who married Samuel SINCLAIR (when??)  b. abt 1807 Kilclooney or Kilconly.  They immigrated together to NSW Australia aboard the Ayrshire in 1841. 

Samuel had previously been married to Eliza WOODS, (when??where??) and had two children
Monica b. abt 1830
Robert b. abt 1832 - they also immigrated to Australia.

I do not ask anyone to follow up the SINCLAIR line any further than possibly finding the marriages, as it will be a topic of it's own, when I have consolidated the information I have further.  Just letting you know so as not to waste time finding things I already have  ;D

and Joseph DUNBAR b. abt 1822 he married Ellen WATTON (when??where??) b. abt 1817 Old Castle, Meath, daughter of John WATTEN and Mary.  They immigrated to Australia aboard the "Agnes" in 1842.

A possible other sibling to these two is

James DUNBAR (5th son of James DUNBAR) b. 1820, he died and is buried in Dublin.

I am blessed to have so much information already, I know many people may never find their Irish Roots.

In particular, if there is a connection of James to Rebecca and Joseph (which seems likely), there are many other siblings to find.

I am more than willing to share any information I have on the family here in Australia, if it can be of any help to anyone out there looking.

Kind regards,

Jo