Author Topic: Greece ~ First World war  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
Greece ~ First World war
« on: Thursday 06 March 08 10:37 GMT (UK) »
I have been told that some distant relatives were in Athens, attending a church service, during the First world War.

Any ideas, please, as to when or why British soldiers would be stationed in, or moving through, that part of Greece around that time?

Thank you!  :)
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline howdee

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Greece ~ First World war
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 March 08 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tricia

Try the greatwarforum. font of all WW1 knowledge.

Howard
Gill, Owen, Barter, Griffin, Arnison, Langley-Hansler Nobbs, Hunt, Angel,

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 March 08 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that ~ I have registered and am now awaiting 'validation'.  :) ???
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 March 08 11:30 GMT (UK) »
hi tricia

just read that greece joined the war in october 1915(our side)
their army managed to hold the austrians in macedonia while
british/french troops massed on the greek borders

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 March 08 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tricia

If you post their names someone can check the WW1 medal index cards for you. If they went overseas during 1914/15 it is mentioned on the card with a code to show the destination. If during 1916 or later you should be able to find which battalion they served in from their number, and again it is fairly easy to find out where they served.

You could also try googling "Salonika". One link you will get - http://www.1914-1918.net/Salonika.htm - is on the sister site to the GWF, and gives a good background to that theatre. The headquarters for Salonika was Alexandra in Egypt, and a lot of men served in one or more of Salonika, Gallipoli or Palestine, all before returning home.

Ken

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 March 08 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the advice!

I've been reading a bit about Greece's part in WW1 and it seems very complex.

I have been told about these two distant relatives attending church in Athens during the first world war, before having to be moved on, either in secret or in a rush, and was wondering about why they would have been in Athens, in particular, so was looking for a bit of background.

I'll try to check out their names and war careers, if I can.

:)

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 March 08 18:41 GMT (UK) »
I've had a look on the National Archives site ~ WW1 Campaign Medals ~ and found men with the correct surname in: the Welsh Regiment, the Manchester Regiment & the Royal Defence Corps. I don't think, though, that I can see two brothers together.