Author Topic: Grave Search - Northchurch  (Read 5360 times)

Offline Chelle71

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Grave Search - Northchurch
« on: Thursday 06 March 08 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Im looking for someone who lives in the area of Northcurch Berkhamsted Herts who wouldnt mind looking for a grave for me , ive rang several numbers this past week and having no joy at all , im living  a few hours away so it isant as easy for me to come and look and wondered if someone wouldnt mind helping me .  ???

Regards Chelle

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
Re: Grave Search - Northchurch
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 March 08 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chelle

Would you give us a few more details please in case someone is able to help.  Is the grave in the churchyard of St Mary's Northchurch?  When was the burial and what is the name of the deceased please?

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chelle71

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 March 08 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Grave i am looking for is Elizabeth Agnus Ethel Rance died 26 / 12 / 1933 ,she is laid to rest at the graveyard off south bank road  in northcurch .

regards Chelle

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 March 08 14:04 GMT (UK) »
This isn't the church then.  It must be a municipal cemetery.  For anyone able to help, here is the relevant map.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/02w5/

Just in case anyone can manage a photo, I will move this back to the GENERAL board as imaging is disabled on the LOOKUP REQUESTS board.

Offline Chelle71

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 March 08 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Rick

No it isant a graveyard within the grounds of the church , im sorry i dont really understand how i was suppose to post something like this.

kind regards Chelle

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 March 08 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Please don't worry about it Chelle! :)

The only problem that I can see is that Council run cemeteries tend to be on the large side.  If this is the case with Northchurch cemetery in South Bank Road, it might not be feasible for someone to search for you without a plot number.  Have you managed for find a plot number for Elizabeth RANCE?

Offline Chelle71

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 March 08 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rick ,

Unfortunately Ive been having the worse luck ever trying to do this ,Ive been to the church`s website and got the phone numbers from there and for over a week now Ive had no joy at all , the land line just rings and the mobile is always off. I have even rang the main church in Berkhamsted , they put me onto the Library Archivists who then told me that they only hold records up to the mid 1800`s and to contact the church, who doesn't as i say happen to be answering  :'(

I'm beginning to wonder if i should just give up anyway after the lady at the Library told me they do grave clearance`s so i may never know where my Gran is .

Thankyou for you help Rick i do appreciate it .

Chelle

Offline Stefan Woolf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 March 08 13:22 GMT (UK) »
I live very close to Northchurch.

I am completely unaware of any graveyard near South Bank Road, although that's not to say there isn't one. It's not a road one would normally have cause to go dpwn.

I'm fact I'm not so far aware of any graveyard in Northchurch not associated with a church or chapel.

It was my (perhaps wromg) assumption that people from Northchurch laid to rest in a cemetary would be in one of the Berkhamsted ones. I certainly think that would be true now.

I'm not sure when I'll be able to take a look, but I'll try to soon.

Offline Stefan Woolf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 March 08 13:30 GMT (UK) »
A further thought or two....

It's not on the list of cemeteries managed by Dacorum Borough Council, which I think confirms my view that Northchurch deaths would now be buried at Berkhamsted. (But the current Berkhamsted Cemetary is modern, and I don't know the 1930s situation).

If it's in the road you say, it's on the other side of the canal from Northchurch Parish Church, so clearly not associated to the church.  I can't see how contacting them will help, as they are unlikely to hold burial records for a graveyard that's not theirs.