Author Topic: marriage hughes-harris Bromsgrove ?  (Read 5148 times)

Offline jaxishere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
marriage hughes-harris Bromsgrove ?
« on: Thursday 06 March 08 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I was wondering if anyone could help everything about this lady is a mystery.  I have spent  so much time trying to find out about her but keep hitting brick wall

I am trying to find information on Mary Ann Harris my gg grandmother

i know her mum  Ann Milton lived in  Grafton ( parish Beckford)  Gloucestershire and married thomas Harris he was from Elmley castle.

They  moved to Elmley Castle Worcestershire where they had 3 other children I have found their christening in the parish records there , but not Mary Ann's nor I can I find hers in the parish records from Grafton.   They then moved to  Ashton under hill

Nor  Can I find Mary Anns marriage and the birth of her eldest child.Ihave found her death in 1881  ( I think she may have been unmarried when she had the eldest boy William

I have found her on the 1871 census
RG10/3071 Folio 43 page 17
married to john Hughes living in Bromsgrove  high street he is a tailor with 6 children  eldest William 12  then a gap of 7years to the next who was 5, then 4 ,3 1, 3 months

However on the 1861 census I have who I think is her Mary Ann Harris unmarried as a servant in Barnsley hall Bromsgrove
 Rg9 piece 2114 folio 62 page 1
It has her as her birth place Grafton Gloucestershire
but where was her son ?

Smith Worcestershire
Pardoe  Hartlebury Belbroughton Worcestershire
Hughes Bromsgrove Droitwich
Harris, Milton, Franklin, Grafton Gloucestershire,  
Harris, EmleyCastle
Townsend Bath Somerset
Bird worcestershire

Offline DMP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: marriage hughes-harris Bromsgrove ?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 March 08 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi I found this
RG9 2100 f.10 p.14
Aston Under Hill
Village
William Milton 40 ag lab Beckford
Ann 33                           Deerhurst
Sarah 15/8?                   Becford
Mary A Cole 18 sister     Deerhurst
William H Harris 2    nephew Aston under Hill

Donna
Butler/Willenhall/Smethwick/bromsgrove Briton/oldbury Doughty/Homer/Reynolds/Whitehouse/tipton Greenaway/gornal Phillips/,bala Toon/burton Selwood/tipton/worcester skidmore/hill top Wedgbury/worcester Wheatley/west Bromwich  Wooldridge/oldswinford  Worton/cradley Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DMP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 March 08 18:50 GMT (UK) »
from the igi (family search)
WILLIAM HENRY HARRIS
05 SEP 1858      Ashton Underhill Gloucester
MARY ANN HARRIS

Butler/Willenhall/Smethwick/bromsgrove Briton/oldbury Doughty/Homer/Reynolds/Whitehouse/tipton Greenaway/gornal Phillips/,bala Toon/burton Selwood/tipton/worcester skidmore/hill top Wedgbury/worcester Wheatley/west Bromwich  Wooldridge/oldswinford  Worton/cradley Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 March 08 18:57 GMT (UK) »
John HUGHES appears to have been married previously, he is with a wife called Sarah in 1861. RG9/2113/5/2.

It is possible he and Sarah parted company and there was no marriage to Mary Ann because Sarah was still alive,  or you need to locate the death of Sarah and then look for a marriage after that date.

Jebber

CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline jaxishere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 March 08 20:14 GMT (UK) »
gosh so Mary Ann did have a child out of wedlock that must have coursed problem in those days I wonder if the dad is on William's birth cert.

William milton was Mary Ann's uncle she must have left her son with them and went to work as a servant in Brmsgrove to get money to help support him

It had not occurred to me that they may not have been married. Mary Ann died in 1881 and John Hughes married again in 1886 it said widow on the marrage to his new wife eliza but was he widow from Mary Ann or this Sarah.

The gap of 7 years between the children and then them coming yearly would have me think they got together around  year before Sarah was bornaround 1865

I wonder how long he was  married to Sarah before 1861
how do I trace the death there must be lots of Sarah hughes I will never be sure its her
Smith Worcestershire
Harris, EmleyCastle
Townsend Bath Somerset
Bird worcestershire

Offline DMP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 March 08 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi i found this marriage
John Hughes
Mary Ann Harris
Birmingham
6d 273

there is 3 death for a Sarah Hughes in Bromgrove
Deaths Sep 1863   
HUGHES    Sarah        Bromsgrove    6c   217   
HUGHES    Sarah Ann         Bromsgrove    6c   217    
Deaths Jun 1864 
Hughes    Sarah         Bromsgrove    6c   263

Donna

Offline jaxishere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 March 08 21:53 GMT (UK) »
DMP
thanks
It looks as if it could be their marriage as nothing is coming up in Worcestershire or Glouestershire for them.

I would have thought she would have gone home to get married and have know idea what they would be doing marrying in Birmingham but it is possible
From johns marriage to eliza its got his dad as his father being john hughes also a tailor  and I know mary Anns dad was Thomas Harris so that helps

As for sarah Hughes death it could be anyone of them I have know idea how i could find out 
Smith Worcestershire
Harris, EmleyCastle
Townsend Bath Somerset
Bird worcestershire

Offline DMP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 March 08 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi you could try looking at the church records and hopefully the street they where on in 1861 is also in the records

Donna

Offline jaxishere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 March 08 22:10 GMT (UK) »
I will go to records office tomoz and look for sarahs burial
were all burials recorded in the parish records then and also see if I can find their marriageto john
As for the marriage of Mary Ann to John birmingham is out of area so their records are not in the worcestershire office
Smith Worcestershire
Harris, EmleyCastle
Townsend Bath Somerset
Bird worcestershire