Author Topic: Dimmers of Eastry  (Read 3966 times)

Offline Tigsy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dimmers of Eastry
« on: Thursday 06 March 08 20:56 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the burials of Thomas Dimmer (who died in 1909) and his wife Eliza, who died in 1900, both in Eastry.  There is no mention of Thomas in the 1901 census either.
Any assistance greatly appreciated.
COLLINS - St Pancras, Kentish Town
LANGLEY - Kentish Town, Camden, Islington, Barnet
MCDONALD - St Pancras, London
CARTER - Kentish Town
HOWARD - Pimlico, Kentish Town, Surrey, Sussex
PROUDLEY - Kent, Sussex
TAYLOR - Devon
GREEN - Somerset
BARRELL - St Pancras, London
ANDERSON - Pimlico, Kentish Town
BROWN - Fenton, Staffs
BRUNT - Fenton/Longton Staffs

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dimmers of Eastry
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 March 08 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tigsy

If it's the family who were living in Deal in the 1891 census then that could explain their absence from the 1901 census - most of Deal is missing/doesn't survive.  Did they live in Deal would you know?

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tigsy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 March 08 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I think it is - address was 15 Blenheim Road, Deal.  Any ideas where they would be buried?  Eastry is mentioned when I looked up the year of deaths.
Many thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
CARTER - Kentish Town
PROUDLEY - Kent, Sussex
TAYLOR - Devon
GREEN - Somerset
BROWN - Fenton, Staffs

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 April 08 18:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Tigsy

If they were living in Deal then I would suggest that they may be buried at Hamilton Road Cemetery in Deal.  Perhaps Dover District Council can help with burials there?

http://www.dover.gov.uk/burials/faq.asp

Deal came under the registration district of Eastry but now comes under Dover District Council.

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tigsy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 April 08 20:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply. You are correct about where the Dimmers are buried.

I have found out more really interesting information since posting this thread.  After I received a copy of Thomas Dimmers will, I discovered that his son John Frances Dimmer was a Major and thanks to people on the forums, discovered that he received an OBE for his services during WW1.  His funeral was announced in The Times, and he is also buried at the Hamilton Road Cemetry along with his parents.

Trouble is with the 1901 census not really existing in Deal, I know nothing about John Francis family ie. if he had any children etc, but I do know his wife Emma died in 1954 in Deal.

Isn't it a case of the more you find out the more you want to know!

Many thanks for your reply.

Kind regards, Chris

CARTER - Kentish Town
PROUDLEY - Kent, Sussex
TAYLOR - Devon
GREEN - Somerset
BROWN - Fenton, Staffs

Offline surreyboi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Tigsy.

Sorry to trouble you.  I see that 2 years ago you were enquiring about Lt Col J F Dimmer.   You said that he was awarded an OBE and that Revd Gordon Donne Davies was mentioned in his will.   Well Gordon Donne Davies was my dad and I actually have the OBE medal.   But I haven't the faintest idea why, who he was or what he did.   Well that's not entirely true.   I believe that his sister was Elizabeth Dimmer b 1851 who was my great grandmother.   They lived in South Wales.   I have a photo of her. 

Did you find out anything of interest?

Offline Tigsy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 22:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you, how wonderful to hear from you.  I would very much like to know more. 

John Francis Dimmers mother was Eliza Payne who married Thomas Dimmer, her sister Catherine Payne was my Gt Gt Grandmother.  I do have lots of photos of Catherine Payne and her husband George Carter.  I also have photos of Thomas Dimmer (John Francis Dimmers father) and of John Francis Dimmer.  John Francis Dimmer became the third chief Templar in the UK, and received his OBE in 1919.  He was my Gt Grandmothers cousin.  I have a birthday card he sent to my grandfather.  He had a huge funeral in Deal in Kent and there is even a plague with his name on in St Georges Church in Deal.

I would very much like to exchange information.

Kind regards
CARTER - Kentish Town
PROUDLEY - Kent, Sussex
TAYLOR - Devon
GREEN - Somerset
BROWN - Fenton, Staffs

Offline surreyboi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 September 10 23:28 BST (UK) »
Good to hear from you!!!   It seems that we share one set of Gt Gt Gt Grandparents ie the parents of Eliza and Catherine Payne, whoever they were.    Did you discover their names?     I'm afraid I don't really have any information to share, so I'm a bit of a fraud.   Someone, I was told, did some research on the Donne side of my family before the war and that shows Thomas Dimmer b1822 and Eliza Payne b1822 and Thomas's mother being Ann b1797.   My Dad never talked of any relatives yet he clearly knew John Francis well enough to have been passed his medals and was an executor for 2 of his own uncles.   His mother died when I was a young teenager so I didn't find out much from her and her husband, my grandfather, died 10 years before I was born.   They lived in Cambridge.   How on earth they met, I don't know.   She (Ellen Jane Donne) was born and raised in Whitchurch as you know and he (Harry Davis) was born and raised in Towcester.   

A lady in Towcester spends her time finding the ancesters of everyone who has ever lived there so I now know the names of 6 Gt Gt Gt Gt Gt Gt Gt Gt Gt Grandparents on the Davis side!!!  But no photos of anyone.  A photo of Thomas Dimmer, my Gt Gt Grandfather would be very interesting.   And it would be interesting to put a face to the medals.   I've often wondered who he was.   His long service medal was issued in Queen Victoria's reign which makes him old for WW1.   There is also a J Dimmer who won a Victoria Cross in WW1.   I don't know if he is a relative as well. 

Offline Tigsy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 September 10 00:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I would very much like to see photos of the medals and any photos you have, I have sent you a message with my email address on, as I did do some extensive research into John Francis Dimmers time with the Templars and found some very interesting information.  Having a handwritten birthday card to my grandfather made me all the more curious.  I did obtain a copy of his will and as he had no children, left alot of his possessions to various members of the family. His funeral was also reported in great detail in the Times.

You are correct about Thomas parents.  They were William and Ann Dimmer from Wiltshire.  Thomas Dimmer was quite a strict character starting as a Police Officer in Wiltshire, then becoming a Headmaster in Jevington, nr Eastbourne before moving to Deal in Kent where John Francis Dimmer retired to.
The parents of Eliza and Catherine Payne were John Pain and Mary Ann Wait from Lambourne in Berkshire. 
Gordon Donne Davies was a Reverend?  Am I correct?  Do you know which churches he preached in and how he came to move from Wales?
There is so much information I would very much like to exchange with you.
Very much loo forward to hearing more from you.

CARTER - Kentish Town
PROUDLEY - Kent, Sussex
TAYLOR - Devon
GREEN - Somerset
BROWN - Fenton, Staffs