Author Topic: William Johnston, Gordon Highlanders  (Read 1090 times)

Offline mnj897

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
William Johnston, Gordon Highlanders
« on: Thursday 06 March 08 21:09 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help me with some research I am doing with respect to my grandfather, William JOHNSTON who, I believe, was a Gordon Highlander in WW1 and was invalided out in 1917.  The following is what I have gleaned so far:

• He was born in 1875 in Aberdeen.
• He was married to Eliza Jane IMRAY on 12 April 1907 in Aberdeen.
• He died on 13 May 1931 in Aberdeen – cause of death given as disseminated fibrosis which indicates that he was a gas casualty.
• Of the few mementos remaining, I have a photograph of C Coy, 2nd/4th Gordons taken in Aberdeen in 1915 – I have no proof, but I believe that he was one of the members in the photograph.
• I have his original marriage certificate and his son’s (my father’s) birth certificate, both of which are date-stamped on the reverse 7 Nov 1917 by Infantry Record Office, Perth and the initials GH (Gordon Highlanders?) written in blue pencil.
• Also on the reverse of his marriage certificate is the number I/W 7930 which may be his service number.
• His occupation is given as joiner (journeyman) on certificates and 1891 census but on his widow’s death certificate (she died in 1933) he is described as an army pensioner (deceased).

I have tried tracing his pension record on ancestry,co.uk without success.  Can anyone suggest alternative lines of enquiry?
Aberdeenshire, Kincardineshire: Johnston, Imray, Geddes, Chrichton, Milne, Mortimer, Middleton, Dawson, Kelman, Thom, Florence, Rennie, Thomson, Cobban, Reid.

Clydeside: Burns, Connell, Nisbet, Boyd, McEwen, McKay, McCormack.

Essex: Joslin, Cox.

Northern Ireland: Macauley

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Johnston, Gordon Highlanders
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 March 08 21:50 GMT (UK) »
2/4th Gordons were absorbed into the 2/5th Gordons in Oct/Nov 1915.
Also they never served abroad. So if he was in the 2/4th for the duration (which of course we can't be sure of) then he wouldn't have a medal card and also couldn't be a gas casualty.

http://www.1914-1918.net/gordon.htm

Does disseminated  fibrosis indicate a gas casualty? My medical knowledge isn't that good, but there may be other interpretations.
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline mnj897

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 March 08 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil,

I was aware of the fact that 2/4th were absorbeed by 2/5th Gordons and I am currently working on the assumtion that William Johnston transferred across at the same time.

The date stamps on his marriage cert and his children's birth certs dated Nov 17 indicate to me that he was being assessed for a pension at that time.  This is reinforced by the fact that his widow's death cert describes him as an army pensioner.

I have done some research on long term invalidism caused to gas casualties and disseminated (or scattered) fibrosis is entirely consistent with my conclusions.

Regards,

mnj
Aberdeenshire, Kincardineshire: Johnston, Imray, Geddes, Chrichton, Milne, Mortimer, Middleton, Dawson, Kelman, Thom, Florence, Rennie, Thomson, Cobban, Reid.

Clydeside: Burns, Connell, Nisbet, Boyd, McEwen, McKay, McCormack.

Essex: Joslin, Cox.

Northern Ireland: Macauley

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 March 08 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mnj
Are you able to get to the NA to do research?

One idea and if you have to pay a researcher may be costly....Theres a lot of William Johnstons  in the Gordons.

The date stamped by Perth Records could be his discharge date.

You could(or researcher) check the Gordons  SWB list as if he was a gas casualty he should be entitled to...For discharge dates around 7th Nov 1917  and enlistment prior to 1916  if you can find a William Johnston on there it could be your grandfather.

Obviously a lot of ifs and buts in this method and the fact your not 100% he was in the Gordons.

Good luck

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.