Author Topic: Help with WW1 Service Records  (Read 1306 times)

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help with WW1 Service Records
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 March 08 22:25 GMT (UK) »
A good site for RAMC (courtesy of Scrimnet):

http://www.rootschat.com/links/02x7/
Reid: Nicol: Peterhead and Aberdeen
McDonald: Greig: Milne: Aberdeenshire
Moreland: Lanarkshire, Whitehaven in Cumbria and Ireland
Cunningham: Lanarkshire, Cumbria and Ireland
Halliday: Falkirk, Stirlingshire and Ireland
Redpath: Stirlingshire and Banbridge
McKay:

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 March 08 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Matthew

It is good to see his medal index card.  I'm sure you are aware that he received Pip, Squeak and Wilfred (all three medals).

His 'Victory' medal would have been engraved with his rank of Sergeant, as well as his name and regimental number. He entered the Theatre of War (France) on the 1st August 1915.

I wonder if his Service Records survived!  I hope so.  As you can see it mentions Herbert being firstly a 'Private', then 'Acting Sergeant', then attaining the rank of  'Sergeant'   :D

Reid: Nicol: Peterhead and Aberdeen
McDonald: Greig: Milne: Aberdeenshire
Moreland: Lanarkshire, Whitehaven in Cumbria and Ireland
Cunningham: Lanarkshire, Cumbria and Ireland
Halliday: Falkirk, Stirlingshire and Ireland
Redpath: Stirlingshire and Banbridge
McKay:

Offline matthewdeller

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 March 08 23:54 GMT (UK) »
I have all the medals. I also have the meritorious medal as well but haven't got round to getting the index card for that. would it be worth it. Is Kew the place to go to see if service records survived? Is this an easy task?

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 March 08 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matthew

To add to Atom’s post, the VM and BWM were issued as a pair, so both medals should be impressed with the rank/number signified by the cross with four dots. The 1914-15 Star should be impressed with his rank/number on the date he ‘entered theatre’. As you have the medal can you say what is on the 1914-15 Star?

Entering theatre actually means the date he left the UK. This was usually only one day difference, if being sent to France. But if they were going to other theatres the trip would be longer and they would have received the overseas allowance for the trip.

If by ‘meritorious’’ you mean the Meritorious Service Medal, I have a medal roll and I cannot find him under RAMC. Can you say which monarch is on the obverse, and what is impressed on the MSM? These were usually issued to long-term service men, often many years after they were discharged. If he served into the 1920s his papers would not have been released to the TNA, and may still be with the MOD. Do you know when he was discharged from the army?

Ken

Offline matthewdeller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 09 March 08 18:37 GMT (UK) »
KM1971

Yes its the meritorious service medal inscribed with name, regiment number and RAMC. On reverse is George V i think. inscribtion says 'GEORGIVS V BRITT: something REX ET IND IMP