Author Topic: Charles & Elizabeth Haughton of Coromahon, Killeshandra  (Read 6493 times)

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
  • My Mum & Dad - George & May Veighey
    • View Profile
Charles & Elizabeth Haughton of Coromahon, Killeshandra
« on: Friday 07 March 08 13:15 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace Charles & Elizabeth Haughton of Coromahon, Killeshandra. There is a tomb in Croghan cemetry Killeshandra with the following inscription on it :

"Sacred to the memory of Charles Haughton of Coromahon.  Died 13 May 1870 aged 69 years. 'Mark the upright and behold the just.  For the end of that man is peace.'  Also his wife Elizabeth Haughton.  Died 15th February 1887, aged 79 years.  'Blessed are the dead Which die in the Lord.'"

From the inscription it looks like Charles was born in 1801 & Elizabeth was born in 1808.

I believe that my great grandmother Mary Jane Wilson's maiden name was Haughton before she married ( she died 14th March 1921). Mary Jane was married to John Wilson who died 19th Dec 1926. Unfortunately I do not have their dates of birth, all I know is that Mary Jane & John Wilson lived in Coromahon House too.

I have tried using IGI and cannot find anything.
Any help to establish any information on the missing generations with the Haughton and Wilson links would be appreciated

Thanks

Margaret

Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles & Elizabeth Haughton of Coromahon, Killeshandra
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 March 08 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Mary Jane's marriage should list father's name and occupation. You don't mention what year the marriage took place (which will help narrow down possible age) but have you found her in any census records (will also help with age)?
Death certificates for Charles and Eliza will not give many details (name, age, date and place of death, cause, occupation, informant)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 March 08 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Aghadowey,

I don't have any marriage details at all or any census information, all I have is the inscription information.
I am really stuck as to where to start looking.

Margaret
Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 March 08 13:43 GMT (UK) »
I meant marriage and census information for Mary Jane. Witrhout more evidence you can't really assume the couple mentioned on the gravestone are connected.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 March 08 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey,

I am pretty sure that the families are related, from  comments from my Mother's first cousins, I just do not know how to go about finding the information, where should I go to look up census information. I understand that it is very difficult trying to find out information on Irish relatives.

I will be meeting a long first cousin from Australia next week who is a descendant of the Haughtons & Wilsons who I have not seen for over 40 years, she has got interested in tracing her family history, who knows she may be able to give me some more information.

I do not have any real information on Mary Jane Haughton or John Wilson except for the inscriptions on the graves. I do know that Charles Haughton & John Wilson both lived in Coromahon House at different times. I did have a free trial recently on Ancestry but I was unable to find out any information on my Irish relatives, so I decided not to take up the subscription. I did find information on John & MAry JAne Wilson on IGI but I was not sure that it was correct.

Any advice as to how to proceed would be very welcome

Thanks

Margaret

Offline jjcaffrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 April 08 17:34 BST (UK) »
At this site ( http://ifhf.brsgenealogy.com/map.php?&set=yes ) I searched for marriage records for John Wilson in Killashandra. There were 3 entries, with one being a church record from 1876. I then searched on Mary Houghton marriages in Killeshandra, and there was 1 hit - Haughton, Mary J in 1876.

Seems like a possibility to me! I would probably contact the GRO with a request for the civil marriage record ( http://www.gro.ie/fees.htm ).

As for the Census records, you should search at familysearch.org for the film number ( http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp ) and then visit a local FHS and order it. The beauty of Killeshandra is that some of the 1841 census survived, but you can also access the 1901 and 1911 census records.

Good luck,
John

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 April 08 13:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks John for your help, I will take a look at the sites that you have suggested and see what comes up.

Thanks 

Margaret

PS It was lucky I checked the thread cos I didn't get an email notification on my thread even with nitifications set enabled

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 May 13 07:51 BST (UK) »
The last surviving daughter of Charles Haughton Wilson passed away this week.
My mother May passed away on May Day, she grew up in Killeshandra. She was 85 and had been active up to the very end, although had been very ill for a few weeks, she was as bright as a button.
She is now reunited with my Dad George Veighey who died nearly 2 years ago.

She was great help to me on giving me loads of help tracing our family history. A few months ago we met one of my 2nd cousins for the very first time, my Mum was delighted to meet her.
Her mother (Mum's 1st cousin) had died recently and she was keen to hear some old memories from my mother,who knew her mother so well. We had such a great day and was keen to visit again.

Margaret

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 May 13 11:39 BST (UK) »
have you seen this Cavan co council , Small private collections ,Archives service 20 june 1876 marriage settlement between John Wilson and Mary Jane Haughton of the first and second part and Edward MCgauran Mountjoy Square city of Dublin and Richard Wilson, Tesiagh, co Leitrim ,farmer of the third part.Maybe if you write to Cavan Co Council you could possibly get a more detailed account of the document might mention their parents.also see 5 feb 1912 trust set up for their children same archives.

Moderator Note: link added-
http://www.cavanlibrary.ie/Default.aspx?StructureID_str=36