Author Topic: Long Shot ! Sheffield. Vickers-Stacey  (Read 19432 times)

Offline debbie b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Long Shot ! Sheffield. Vickers-Stacey
« on: Friday 07 March 08 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Would anyone know of any books or publications I can look at to connect my "Stacey" family to the "Vickers" family of Sheffield.

My 4 x Gt Grandfather was John Vickers Stacey b abt 1795 Ecclesall Bierlow. He was married to Caroline (No surname for her).
1841 he was listed as a metal smith, 1851 a bookmaker and 1861 he was a former manufacturer.
I have looked at some trade directories but didn't find John and have no idea what he may have manufactured (if he did).

One of their sons was James Vickers Stacey b 1823 and married Ann Lockwood 1841.
This James Vickers Stacey was NOT the Britannia Metal manufacturer
though they were only born 5 years apart and similar area.

I am trying to trace where Vickers appears in the Stacey line as it continues all the way through to my Grandad but we don't know where it came from.

I would also like to try and track a connection to the "Other" Vickers-Stacey family.

I know it's a long-shot but the name might trigger a memory from a book someone may have read or an article.

I haven't tracked any Stacey graves in Sheffield either - not sure where to start and I would also like to try and find a marriage record for John and Caroline (1815 - 1820 apx they married).

Any pointers in the right direction would be gratefully accepted - please. 

Many thanks for taking the time to read this - Thankyou - Debbie
DEWHURST Yorks. TYMMS/TYMNS Lancs/Cheshire. HARGREAVES Yorks. MCGARRY Ireland/Lancs. LARKIN Ireland/Cheshire. STRINGER Yorks. BAMBER Lancs. LYON Lancs. STACEY Yorks. CROASDALE Yorks.

Offline Tuppie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Arnold Ridge Lee
    • View Profile
Re: Long Shot ! Sheffield. Vickers-Stacey
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 March 08 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie.

I can't help you with the connection but there is a marriage on the IGI for John Vickers STACEY and Caroline COWLISHAW at Mattersey Notts 12 April 1814.

From the 1851 census Caroline puts her place of birth as Mattersey.

I also found these burials at the General Cemetery, Cemetery Road Sheffield.
Section H2 grave 154.
Died 23 /Oct /1861 Bur. 28/Oct /1861 James Vckers STACEY aged 38 Commercial Traveller of Attercliffe Common.
Died 13/Jun/1867 Bur 17/Jun /1867 John Vickers STACEY aged 72. Gentleman of Pomona St.
Died 15/Feb/1869 Bur 18/Feb/1869 Caroline STACEY aged 75. Widow of Harwood St Sharrow Lane.
Died 14/Jan/1885 Bur 19/Jan/1885. Ann STACEY aged 57 wife of Late James V STACEY. Traveller of 55 Pomona Street.

According to the Grave Register there is a Monumental Inscription for this family.

Tuppie

LEE, ROSE, Mosborough/Eckington<br />TREWEEK, HARDWICK.Cornwall/Derbyshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
www.sheffieldindexers.com

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 March 08 23:28 GMT (UK) »
The IGI also has the baptism of John Vickers Stacye
born 8 Sep 1794       baptised 1 Feb 1798      Cathedral Saint Peter, Sheffield
parents John Stacye and Hannah

John Stacye married Hannah Vickers  1st April 1781 or 3rd Sept 1781 Cathedral Saint Peter, Sheffield 

so there's your Vickers connection

IGI also has baptisms for these children at Sheffield, all with parents John Stacye/Stacey and Hannah:

GEORGE STACEY  25 Sep 1811
HENRY STACEY 3 Mar 1822
MARIA STACEY 29 Oct 1802
ELIZABETH STACYE 1 Feb 1798
JOHN STACEY 3 Apr 1805
LYDIA STACYE 1 Feb 1798
WILLM. STACEY 19 Jun 1814 

Barbara   :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 March 08 23:47 GMT (UK) »
The 'other' James b 1828 - Britannia Metal Manufacturer was the son of Ebenezer Stacey.
Family search (IGI) also has him as a son of John and Hannah- born 1800- your two James would be cousins.

1851 HO107; Piece: 2339; Folio: 764; Page: 54 transcribed as Hady.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline debbie b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 March 08 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Tuppie, Barbara and Heywood

Thankyou you SO MUCH for your help - YOU'RE WONDERFUL.

There seemed too many coincidences in family names for the two Vickers Stacey families not to be connected or the other thought was that mine quite liked the idea of being connected to the
manufacturer's family they decided to add Vickers to the name, then again I had tracked it back to John (1795) which was prior to James V manufacturing Britannia Metal.

Tuppie - I am guessing that Sheffield General cemetery is quite large ? There were a lot of STACEY children I'd like to find too - could I grave search it in a day ?

I though I had checked the IGI as well - I didn't do a good job did I.

You have all helped me enormously and now I have many more lines to work on.

Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou - a very grateful Debbie
DEWHURST Yorks. TYMMS/TYMNS Lancs/Cheshire. HARGREAVES Yorks. MCGARRY Ireland/Lancs. LARKIN Ireland/Cheshire. STRINGER Yorks. BAMBER Lancs. LYON Lancs. STACEY Yorks. CROASDALE Yorks.

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 March 08 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie

You're very welcome, and thank you for letting us know it all fits together for you, it's always good to know things work out well

Kind regards,
Barbara
 :D :D
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Tuppie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Arnold Ridge Lee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 March 08 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara.

This is information taken from the Sheffield and District FHS, message board www.sheffieldfhs.org.uk The cemetery is huge and believe me it well worth contacting the friends as they will also take you to the grave. I have had two attempts at finding a grave for my ancestor and have now made an appointment for next Thursday 13th March.
Also check out http://www.gencem.org/ the first 6000 burials are searchable on this site.
A few things that may make your research easier (and maybe help the existence of the Gen Cem too - I hope). The volunteers here run a historical research service into the families and grave sites of the cemetery, and for £5 (currently) we can do research into who was buried where and when, using our own and the local archival records. We find this is an extremely useful service for people outside Sheffield in particular.

For people visiting from abroad or who who live nearby and want to visit also for £5 we can arrange to take them round the site and show them the gravesite and any monuments or gravestones that still exist. The cemetery at 15 acres in size was designed in 1836 in a gardenesque style with many winding paths. It is complex to get around and some areas have become overgrown and difficult to negotiate. So its often helpful to have someone to show the way.

All money goes into the upkeep of the site and running the Gatehouse where we have our little office. For more details contact Janet or Nancy here at the office on 0114 268 3486. The Gatehouse itself is at the end of Cemetery Avenue (off Ecclesall Road).
 Kind Regards

Tuppie
LEE, ROSE, Mosborough/Eckington<br />TREWEEK, HARDWICK.Cornwall/Derbyshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
www.sheffieldindexers.com

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 March 08 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tuppie,

That was meant for Debbie, not me, but what an excellent site that is, thank you very much for the link, I'm sure it will come in useful to me too!

Barbara  :)

Offline debbie b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 March 08 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Tuppie for the cemetery information. Mmm - I couldn't search a 15 acre site in a few hours. I will definitely contact one of the friends and see if they will do a search for some of my other Stacey relatives. I think I would still like to visit and see the graves you find in the register for me.

I will also check the websites too so thankyou once again for all your help.

Many thanks - Debbie