Author Topic: Long Shot ! Sheffield. Vickers-Stacey  (Read 19434 times)

Offline gbwhite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Long Shot ! Sheffield. Vickers-Stacey
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Debbie

Thanks for getting back! a brief transcript of that Stacey-Lockwood marriage, especially her parentage, would still be appreciated.

'Bye,

Geoffrey.

Offline debbie b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 18:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoffrey

I can't be much help.
Her Fathers name and profession are blank !

They married 13th October 1846 at Brunswick Chapel (Wesleyan), Ecclesall Bierlow.
Ann was a 20 year old spinster.
In Her address field it reads: 58, Duke Street, Sheffield. but now moved to 51 Southbank (or Southworth) Terrace, Nether Hallam.

James V Stacey address details: 1, Clarence Street, Ecclesall Bierlow but now moved to 51 Southbank Terrace, Nether Hallam.

Witnessed by William Lockwood and Martha Capper

I see your problem with trying to locate her parents. It could be a number of them. I have just had a quick look and can't find the same parents to Ann, James or Joseph.

I wonder why (if she was baptised) her fathers names isn't on her marriage cert?

Kind regards Debbie
DEWHURST Yorks. TYMMS/TYMNS Lancs/Cheshire. HARGREAVES Yorks. MCGARRY Ireland/Lancs. LARKIN Ireland/Cheshire. STRINGER Yorks. BAMBER Lancs. LYON Lancs. STACEY Yorks. CROASDALE Yorks.

Offline gbwhite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 03 May 12 09:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Debbie.

At first when I saw that her father's name was left blank, I thought Ann must be some waif we hadn't picked up on the baptism registers; but no: on the '41 Ann daughter of James is with her widowed mother Arabella in Duke St (No 56 according to a trade directory). James died in '34 & Arabella in '45, so she would be given away by her uncle Wm, husband of my gggg-gm Hannah Hunter, who was mother-in-law to Hannah Hunter nee Stacey, Jas V Stacey's aunt. Simple really!

Geoffrey. :)

Offline debbie b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 07 May 12 14:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoffrey

What a tangle!

Do I have the following correct:-
Ann Lockwood (B 1828) is the daughter of James and Arabella.
James's brother is William Lockwood (who is listed on the marriage certificate)
William Lockwood marries Hannah Hunter (Bptd July 1831) and this Hannah is the daughter of
John Hunter & Hannah Stacey?

Phew - I think I get it.
Kind Regards - Debbie
DEWHURST Yorks. TYMMS/TYMNS Lancs/Cheshire. HARGREAVES Yorks. MCGARRY Ireland/Lancs. LARKIN Ireland/Cheshire. STRINGER Yorks. BAMBER Lancs. LYON Lancs. STACEY Yorks. CROASDALE Yorks.

Offline gbwhite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 07 May 12 15:56 BST (UK) »
Ann dr of Jas & Arabella Lockwood b 18/10/1825, bap Sheff P Ch 27/11/25.
Jas (1796-1834) was brother of Wm Lockwood (1781-1851)
Wm married Hannah Hunter (1781-1854) at Rotherham P Ch 7/7/1799.
Hannah dr of John Hunter & Hannah Stacey died aged 2.
I probably ought to see more original documents before I can say we've really got to the bottom of it all.

Geoffrey.

Offline debbie b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoffrey,

Just a thought on Hannah Stacey (who married John Hunter). I've had a question mark over this Hannah being the daughter of John Stacey and Hannah Vickers and as you pointed out in a previous message - your Hannah could have been the daughter of any of the other 3.

The reason I don't believe she is the daughter of John Stacey and Hannah nee Vickers is:
All their other children Elizabeth, Esther, Lydia and John Vickers Stacey AND John Stacey (Snr) were
all baptised together on 1st February 1798, even though their births went back to 1782.

I've puzzled as to why Hannah was baptised 6 months before the rest of this family (21 Aug 1797).

I know this doesn't solve her parentage but I guess we can rule out John S and Hannah (nee Vickers) as being her parents.

I'll let you know if I come across anything else.
Take care - Debbie

Offline DavidStacey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 09 May 13 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hello there,

I am a direct descendant of John Vickers Stacey and Caroline Cowlishaw, through their son, Elijah. As you can see, the Surname has endured right down that line to me. If I can be of any assistance, please get in touch with my via email.

Offline PaulDavy6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 30 December 14 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie
I've just joined Roots Chat and caught up on the Vickers Stacey chain. I am a 1st cousin 5 times removed of John Vickers Stacey (born 1794). His mother Hannah (born Vickers) was the sister of my great great great great grandfather John Vickers. I have a lot of information on the Vickers line but just the names and dates of the children of John Stacey and Hannah Vickers.
Paul

Offline Sarahwright79

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 29 April 16 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Debbie B
I don't know if you still follow this link.  it's about 8 years old.

However, I was just in my car park in Sheffield town centre and there is a grave in it.  Ebeneezer Stacey is on the gravestone!  I believe it's one of the Stacey's you are looking for

Thanks
Sarah