Author Topic: Long Shot ! Sheffield. Vickers-Stacey  (Read 19436 times)

Offline gbwhite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Long Shot ! Sheffield. Vickers-Stacey
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 April 08 17:25 BST (UK) »
Just saw this exchange & was interested because of my Stacyes.
First could I just mention that the family of John & Hannah is a bit extended because for most we don't know which are the children of John & Hannah nee Vickers & which the children of John & Hannah nee Spawford (m 16/10/1796); also Henry is almost certainly the son of John S & Ann Walton, m 28/9/1817.
My gggm Sarah Hunter was the dr of John Hunter & Hannah Stacey. Hannah was 69 when she d in April 1864, so she was probably the dr of Joseph & Sarah Stacey bp 4/1/1795, or else of Joseph & Mary, bp 20/6/1794; curiously she appears as Ann on her marriage record, so she might additionally be Ann dr of Robt & Jane bp 25/2/95. One of her witnesses was a John Stacey.
I think she was probably related to the Vickers-Staceys, as on the '51 census John & Hannah are living next to Jas Vickers Stacey & his family in Brammall Lane.
Has anyone managed to get further than I with sorting out this rather complicated family?
Regards,
Geoffrey. :)

Offline debbie b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 19 April 08 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoffrey,

I haven't really done much research as yet on the earlier Stacey/Stacye line so I can't add anything else at this stage.

All I'm able to say with certainty is that all the males in my family have Vickers as their middle name which was why I was trying to figure out when Vickers became part of my Stacey family.

I have the marriage certificate of James Vickers Stacey (1846) to Ann Lockwood which lists his father as John Vickers Stacey, so Vickers had to appear earlier than John whom was born abt 1790's.

I also have a copy of the deathy duty register for James Vickers, who was the father of Hannah Vickers who married John Stacye so the timing for this marriage and the name Vickers being added to the Stacey males fits the time frame.

Have I confused things even more? I had no reason to follow the lines of  John Stacey and Hannah Spawford as her surname doesn't appear in my direct line plus they didn't marry until 1796 and John and Hannah (Vickers)  children were born between 1782 and 1800.

If I can help you in anyway let me know though it sounds like you've done pretty extensive research into the Stacey name yourself. It definitely sounds like there is some connection betwen them all.

Kind regards - Debbie (Nee Stacey)
DEWHURST Yorks. TYMMS/TYMNS Lancs/Cheshire. HARGREAVES Yorks. MCGARRY Ireland/Lancs. LARKIN Ireland/Cheshire. STRINGER Yorks. BAMBER Lancs. LYON Lancs. STACEY Yorks. CROASDALE Yorks.

Offline tomnick

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 20 April 08 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie
only just found your query. It would seem we are both researching the same line. John Vickers Stacey was my 3x gt grandfather.
I don't know how far you have got since but you may want to try this link

www.youle.info/history

In particular  Sheffield in the 18th century Chapter IV and
Reminiscences of old Sheffield Chapter VIII

You will find Britanniaware by James Vickers and Ebenezer Stacey & Co being sold on the internet.

I'm fairly certain that the James Vickers Stacey you have been researching is the commercial traveller. I have tried searching the General Cemetery but most of the graves have been removed.

Do you know if John Stacey is related to the Staceys of Ballifield Hall?

Regards

Russell

Offline debbie b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 April 08 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Russell,

Wow - A cousin !

I'm afraid I can't help with Ballifield Hall I haven't come across it. Thank you so much for the Link too, that's a really interesting website and when I have some "me" time I will absorb that information.

My Stacey family is still very much in it's infancy. My Dad (Ron Stacey) just casually "asked"  if I knew where his family came from. I have spent many years on my in-laws tree and haven't really chased my paternal line so it's only the last few months I have been dabbling.

My Gt Gt Gt Grandfather was James Vickers Stacey who married Ann Lockwood. He was the commercial traveler (not the manufacturer).  James and Ann's son was Arthur Vickers Stacey, Arthur's son was Dennis Arthur Vickers Stacey who names HIS son the same - my grandfather.

Between 1891-1901 census records - this part of the family move to Blackpool where My Grand Dad Dennis (Known as Arthur) meets my grandmother who also happens to have been born in Sheffield but moves to Blackpool for work.

I'm in Derbyshire for a few days next week and was hoping to call into the Gen cemetery in Sheffield on my way back to see what I could find.

Have you done much researching on this line yourself?  Are you descended from one of James brothers? Richard. Elijah or Enoch ? I have them in my file pending further investigation but haven't had too much time to persue.

Kindest Regards - Debbie
DEWHURST Yorks. TYMMS/TYMNS Lancs/Cheshire. HARGREAVES Yorks. MCGARRY Ireland/Lancs. LARKIN Ireland/Cheshire. STRINGER Yorks. BAMBER Lancs. LYON Lancs. STACEY Yorks. CROASDALE Yorks.

Offline gbwhite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 May 11 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Debbie

I'm just revisiting this side of my research, & wondered if you'd got any further. Would you mind looking up Ann Lockwood's marriage certificate, to see if her father was William? If so, I believe her mother would also be an ancestor of mine!

Best wishes,

Geoffrey

Offline Syl M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 22:31 BST (UK) »
Just seen this and doubt that they would be related to the Stacye's of Ballifield hall as suggested in a previous post as it was a different spelling. They were quakers and some are burried in the quaker burial ground at Handsworth  Sheffield.
Windle
Ladle Grimmer
Oldknow
Farr.

Offline Tuppie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Arnold Ridge Lee
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 01 June 11 09:05 BST (UK) »
They were Quakers, but a lot of the early baptisms and marriages are in the Handsworth St Mary's registers, including Mahlon STACY who was baptised in 1638.
He with his wife Rebecca sailed from Hull in 1678 and settled in an area up the Delaware River now known as Trenton. There is a memorial plaque in Trenton to Mahlon STACY.

There are numerous variants on the name in the Handsworth parish registers.

STACIE, STACEY, STACY, STACYE, it would all depend on how the incumbant heard it and wrote it down.

Tuppie
LEE, ROSE, Mosborough/Eckington<br />TREWEEK, HARDWICK.Cornwall/Derbyshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
www.sheffieldindexers.com

Offline gbwhite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 04 June 11 20:13 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't trust spellings before 1900, never mind 1800. The Stacies I know are in my family tree seem to have spelt their name -ey, -ye, -ie or just -y, or else the parish clerk didn't ask them.

Geoffrey

Offline debbie b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoffrey

I finally replied to you - only a year late!

I am also revisiting my Stacey roots and have been allocating ALL the James Vickers Stacey's and John Vickers Stacey's to the rightful parents - not an easy job but at least I know they are all connected now (brothers and cousins etc). Next job is to get them all on the tree.

I'm just working on the generation of John Vickers Stacey who married Caroline Cowlishaw. I'm just seeing if I can locate any further marriages etc for his siblings so I'm floating around late 1700's and early 1800's.

Do you still need the info from James Vickers Stacey Marriage certificate to Ann Lockwood?

Kind Regards - Debbie