Author Topic: WW1 Service Record  (Read 674 times)

Offline kevin lester

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW1 Service Record
« on: Friday 07 March 08 22:24 GMT (UK) »
I know from what my father and Grandfather have told me that my Grandfather George Alfred Lester fought in France (on the Somme) but I cannot find records of his military service - I am led to believe he served with the South Lancashire Fusiliers Regiment and was invalided out after taking a bullet wound to the lower arm - he was a 'Cockney' born in Islington, London but moved to Warrington, Lancs in or around 1905 at the outbreak of war he would of been about 19 years old excellent cannon fodder for Kitcheners Army, but luckily enough survived the Somme to live to the ripe old age of 83 - he spoke rarely about his experience even to my father Denis George Lester b1931 who served with the 339 Plant Squadron 40th Advanced Engineers Stores Regiment during the early 1950's on National Service.
Does anyone know where I can find details of my Grandfathers Military Service, so far I have drawn a complete blank on every search I have tried, are there any Regimental records that I can access anywhere?

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 Service Record
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 March 08 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry has a medal card for a George Lester     South Lancashire Regiment, Royal Defence Corps     regimental number 26704,74637, and one for a George Lester  Lancashire Fusiliers Regimental Number: 5233 but no other details so couldn't say if either is the right man.

Barbara

`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 Service Record
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 March 08 23:31 GMT (UK) »
http://content.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=View&r=5538&dbid=1262&iid=30850_A000949-02848&fn=George&ln=Lester&st=r&ssrc=&pid=285124

George in the South Lancs was discharged with Silver War Badge(Wounds or sickness) available in colour on Ancestry the other should be too.

5233 Was a KIA from Liverpool.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.