Author Topic: mystery of Sampson Jackman's emigration to Canada  (Read 2272 times)

Offline dianer

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
mystery of Sampson Jackman's emigration to Canada
« on: Tuesday 11 January 05 20:40 GMT (UK) »
:'(

An ancestor of mine, Sampson Jackman (born about 1882 in Bradford) emigrated to Montreal in 1906.  He worked in Montreal for a few years and had contact with his family.   Around December 1909 his letters to his family stopped and it thought that he decided to find work in Chicago.  Has anyone any ideas how I can trace Sampson from any Canadian/USA census or other records to try and find out what did actually happen to him.

Many thanks

Dianer
Aldersley-Carleton, Grassington and Bradford West Yorks
Dean- Elland, West Yorks
Pennington- Slyne, Ellel in Lancashire
Jackman- Bradford

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: mystery of Sampson Jackman's emigration to Canada
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 August 05 17:22 BST (UK) »
He didn't register for WWI in Canada, didn't take land out in one of the Prarie Provinces, doesn't appear in Chicago death records (up to 1950) or in IL death records 1916-1950, isn't on the SSDI, doesn't appear on any of the US censuses on ancestry.com - he's a difficult one!  Isn't on the CWGC or in the www.va.gov veterans cemeteries or in the American WWI war dead buried overseas.

You may find him on the 1911 census of Canada but it is not indexed yet.  www.automatedgenealogy.com has started trying to index these records.  If you still have information on the addresses he used in Montreal you could check those by hand.  (the original records are on www.collectionscanada.ca )
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
Re: mystery of Sampson Jackman's emigration to Canada
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 June 06 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Dianer,

The only possible reference I can find to Sampson Jackman in the Montreal Directories is:

1909-1910
Jackman, Sam. basketmaker, 383 St. Urbain

http://bibnum2.bnquebec.ca/bna/lovell/index.html

And then there's this death registration in Ontario:

County of York, Division of Toronto
Name: Samson Jackman
Date of Death: Sept. 26, 1914
Place of Birth: England
Place of Death: 88 Dundas St.
Marital Status: blank
Father: Jackman
Mother: blank
Cause of death: Phshsis(?)
Duration: Several Months
Physician: F(?) J. Page, 9(?) Bathurst St.
Informant: E. J. Hutchison, 751 Queen St. W.
Date of Registration: Sept 28, 1914
Registration #: 005846-14 (York Co.)

In the 1911 census, 88 Dundas is occupied by Arthur and Emma Ackins.  I cannot find a Sam(p)son Jackman at all in the 1911.  751 Queen St. W. is occupied by 2 households: William and Mary Towns and Edward and Florence Mathews - no Hutchisons.   So no more clues there!   :(

Does the occupation of basket maker or the address of 383 St. Urbain in Montreal fit with any of the letters he sent to his family?

MJP
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)