Author Topic: john w hindley marriage  (Read 11414 times)

Offline ManU

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: john w hindley marriage
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 01 May 14 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hindley Family Tree attached, hope you can read it
All descendants from Robert Hindley 1870 are fully documented and correct. The only thing that makes sense is that the John Hindley b1865 is in fact John W and is the brother of Robert b1870 
The 1881 census showing John Hindley b1836 wife Mary son 16 year old John and boarders Sarah Bowker & Son William why didn’t she have Jane with her??
In 1884 John aged 19 b1865 married Jane Bowker according to “jtas” Rootschat forum
When I checked the 1901 census the only John W Hindley I could find was 11 and had been adopted yet a later document says father Robert was still alive but not found any record of Sarah so he could have been adopted but he would have been born in 1890, I do have a John W Hindley born 1920.
My biggest fear is that somewhere down the line I have got two hindley families mixed
By the way "jtas" my connection is my wifes mother was the daughter of Ellen Hindley nee Cronshaw, she married John Hindley in 1911

Offline jtas

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 01 May 14 22:30 BST (UK) »
hi manu,

Thank you for the family tree, John William born october 1863 married in 1884 to Jane Bowker. i have the marriage certificate. They then had twins in 1884, John William who died and also George who survived. They then had another son in 1887 whom they named John William. George married Emily Berry in 1909 and i have that certificate. They had my grandfather frederick in 1916. sadly george died in the Spanish flu epidemic in 1919 and Emily brought up her six sons by herself. My grandfather moved from Prestwich in 1936 too Watford where he worked for Watford Engineering as a Central lathe turner.He married my grandmother Violet Farmer in 1937 and they had five children . The only remaining sibling is my mother Doreen.

I am very interested in the previous generations to John William Hindley. Have you any certificates to prove what you have found?

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

jackie.

Offline ManU

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 05 May 14 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie
Sorry for the delay but rootschat went off line for a couple of days anyway I would be interested in the marriage cert for John W & Jane. You asked about certificates to prove what I have found, being in Australia it can be costly to purchase documentation and so I rely on FreeBMD, Lancashire BMD, Lancs On-line Parish records and Family Search and people like yourself occasionally when funds are available I go on ancestry, however I was born in Manchester and have an extensive knowledge of various areas where the families I am researching come from.
I have attached a word doc with a brief explanation of the Hindley line from around the 1720's, as with a lot of family research can be open to conjecture although I believe the info is good.
 regards Ray

Offline ManU

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 08 May 14 05:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie
Just a thought with the marriage certificate who is the father, the residence and who are the witnesses, that might help narrow the field somewhat
I did a search on familysearch and came across this
Name John William Hindley    Birth Date 1865       Age 19
Spouse's Name Jane Bowker    Age 19 Spouse's Birth Date 1865
Event Date 27 Jul 1884       Event Place Bradford, Lancashire, England
Father's Name John Hindley        Spouse's Father's Name John Bowker
Indexing Project (Batch) Number I02580-9
GS Film number 2112993    Reference ID 224

Bradford is just down the road from where the family live
cheers Ray

Offline jtas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 08 May 14 05:39 BST (UK) »
hi ray,

thank you for your replies, i wanted to scan the certificate for you but my printer is not working and i am waiting for one of my sons to sort it out for me. I did find recently on Ancestry a John Hindley of 85 Simpsom Street enlisted into the Militia army in 1883 for a period of six years and there is a physical description of him. On the 1881 census that is where our Hindley family is residing. I need to look at my research as i am sure there is a John Hindley that was a Chelsea pensioner on the 1861/1871 census who may be his father. Hindley was such a popular name in Manchester. I will try to do more research over the weekend.

Regards,

Jackie.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 08 May 14 07:29 BST (UK) »
You asked about certificates to prove what I have found, being in Australia it can be costly to purchase documentation and so I rely on FreeBMD, Lancashire BMD, Lancs On-line Parish records and Family Search and people like yourself occasionally when funds are available I go on ancestry, however I was born in Manchester and have an extensive knowledge of various areas where the families I am researching come from.

A Birth, Marriage or Death certificate should cost £9.25 (when bought from GRO),or approx £10 if bought from the District Registrar.

NEVER buy them from places like Ancestry! They charge £25!! :o
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline ManU

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 08 May 14 10:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks KG
I realise the GRO is the best way and I normally use them but I am in the process of researching 8 family lines and that's where I need to be picky of which certs I buy.
Have just found that some marriage records from the Manchester Cathedral around the 1850-1880 are on ancestry and are identical to the certs you can buy, for a $10 for 10 credits on ancestry pay per view does in fact work out cheaper than the GRO
thanks again
regards
Ray

Offline ManU

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 08 May 14 10:56 BST (UK) »
To jtas
This thread is getting longer and longer - just browsing through previous posting and noticed a post by Wozzle for 1891 census RG12/3259/110/17.
john hindley age 26. b. ashton. occ. boiler stoker. head.
jane age 25. b. manchester. wife.
george age 6. b. manchester. son.
john william hindley age 4. b. ditto. son.
hannah age 1. b. ditto. daughter.
william bowker age 19. b. manchester. occ. coal miner. boarder.
living at ; 112,beaumont street,beswick,manchester,lancashire.

This ties up with the 1881 census see W bowker - Beswick is in the Manchester area so at least we know that JH married Jane nee Bowker

Offline ManU

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys
Now I am getting confused
I have 2 census records for 1891
john hindley age 26. b. ashton. occ. boiler stoker. head.
jane age 25. b. manchester. wife.
george age 6. b. manchester. son.
john william hindley age 4. b. ditto. son.
hannah age 1. b. ditto. daughter.
william bowker age 19. b. manchester. occ. coal miner. boarder.
living at ; 112,beaumont street,beswick,manchester,lancashire.
and
John Hindley age 45 Born Widnes Iron Forge man
Wife Mary 39
John 16 born Ashton
Robert 11
Benjamin 8
Charles 7
Sarah Bowker widow 50
William Bowker 18 Coal Miner born Liverpool
family living in Bradford
I believe Bradford is very very near to Beswick
so whats the odds of 2 William Bowkers both coal miners