Author Topic: Why research your family tree???  (Read 7761 times)

Offline Bellejazz

• I have turned off my notifications
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Why research your family tree???
« Reply #45 on: Friday 04 April 08 10:51 BST (UK) »
Anyway, when my grandmother died I inherited the family suitcase (over 3 sons and 3 older grandchildren) and with the documents at my finger tips started the tree.
Does everyone have a family suitcase? I spent ages looking through my Grandma's suitcase at Christmas which must be at least 80 years old.
Claire

No suitcase in my family unfortunately.
With one exception there are no photos before 1970 due to the previously mentioned fires, and not even alot from 1970 - 1985 due to the family being fairly poor and not having cameras.

I have no idea what my Mum (or any of her siblings) looked like as children. My only pictures of my grandad  who died in the early 80's are a wedding photo which miraculously survived and the fading image of him as an old man that I have in my head. As for my Nanna, his wife, she died before I was born and the wedding pic is the only one I have ever seen of her.

It makes me very sad.
Boake Carter: Dublin Ire. - Williamstown VIC Corbet(t): Northern Ire. - Creswick VIC Croak/Croke/Croker: Kilkenny Ire. - Creswick Hob(b)el: Salzgitter Germany - Talbot VIC Mulford: London UK - Williamstown VIC Mitchell: Kildare Ire. - Lilydale VIC Orenshaw: Uttoxeter UK - Creswick Rischmuller: Gottingen Germany - Ballarat VIC Smedley: Derbyshire UK - Kilmore VIC Wassmann: Salzgitter Ward: Tipperary Ire - Creswick VIC.

Offline colliehouse

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 04 April 08 16:38 BST (UK) »
It is so sad not to have any photo's of family past and present. I was in that position until two weeks ago.
I took a year to decide to write to the person who registered my fathers death (having had no contact with his family since I was about 2 - many years ago :(
This lovely person had collected and stored for ten years a whole collection of photographs that she sent me. I now have family photos going back to my great great grandmother, so exciting.
Marshall - Edinburgh
Theobold - Durham and Northumberland

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 04 April 08 17:32 BST (UK) »
About a month ago and through a contact of a contact, via Genes Reunited, I received a photograph of my partner's maternal great grandparents. He had never seen any pictures of them and this weekend we will show them to his mother, who certainly never knew her grandfather and I'm not sure she met her grandmother either. It feels very odd that I should be the one who received the photograph as it isn't my family, but my partner was absolutely delighted and we're hoping his mum will be too.
And I most definitely know where both mother and son took most of their genes from - the likeness to grandmother/ great grandmother is astonishing.

Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 04 April 08 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Colliehouse

Welcome to Rootschat :D

What an amazing story - you must be so pleased.

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 05 April 08 10:41 BST (UK) »
I second that, Jan!

Welcome to Rootschat, colliehouse, and I'm delighted that you have had such a windfall from your contact!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland