Author Topic: Re: Penmans/Izats  (Read 11338 times)

Offline spuddy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Penmans/Izats
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 19 September 20 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi there:  I have been getting DNA matches to surname PENMAN and I am especially interested in the family of Henry Penman and Christian Dryelly.  My problem is that we don't' know the parents of George or David Penman, who ended up living in Prince Edward Island, Canada.  Both names were recorded as arriving together in a ship that landed in Boston, USA in 1762.  George died in 1804 in Port Hill, PEI, Canada and David settled in Lot 28, Tryon, PEI Canada. Another Penman descendant has thoroughly researched our ancestor, George Penman and it can be found at:  https://www.janedyment.ca/ppl/f/4/c48252f63e396b5d8cc9d59d4f.html
My Gedmatch # is EP3933511 and I would love to hear from any Penman researchers. Thank you, Mary Cudmore

Offline colliersbairn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 19 September 20 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary,
It's Elizabeth here. Both my son and I have taken the autosomal DNA test. I can trace my ancestry back to William Penman and Janet Izatt. I checked both our DNA with yours and there isn't a match. It really is determined what autosomal DNA you inherited from your parents. I'm not getting very many Penman matches but I'm getting a lot from my Rae/Ewing line. They married into my Penman line.

Offline spuddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 20 September 20 02:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply, sometimes research is also a process of elimination.

Offline colliersbairn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 20 September 20 18:30 BST (UK) »
I just went through the Roll of Edinburgh Burgesses and Guild-Brethren and I read the report your relative wrote. Your relative said that George, a shoemaker in Edinburgh couldn't possibly be your George as she can't imagine a shoemaker being a merchant. I came across the following in the above book - entered as Burgess 27 Oct 1742, George, cordiner (shoemaker), Burgess by right of his father Edward Penman Goldsmith. Edward Penman was an Assay Goldsmith and head of the Guild.  Edward's brother James, also a Goldsmith had a son called James who was a chirurgeon and Major in the Gibraltar garrison. He was also entered as a Burgess. So you have a military and a merchant connection in the same family. They had money. Might be worth pouring over the Scottish Record Society books.

Offline spuddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 20 September 20 20:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.  Our elusive George was also a Paymaster under Lord Rollo's British army when they were fighting at Louisbourg, Quebec and most likely PEI, (Acadia at that time period.)  His list of effects after his death in 1804 contained many items that he most likely was a store owner.  He also had two or three red English military uniforms.  He was educated as he could read and write, so he must have been of upper class upbringing to have an education during the mid 1700's

However, we couldn't as of YET found any military record although somebody said the a paymaster wouldn't be classified as being a military person.  He also had ships built in PEI and was a ship owner. I keep getting DNA matches to Hunter and some Patterson surnames so was hoping that would lead me back to Penman.  A William Hunter was a neighbour to George Penman in Lot 13, PEI. There is an article on record at our University of PEI, which includes our George Penman at:  http://vre2.upei.ca/islandmagazine/fedora/repository/vre%3Aislemag-batch2-559/OBJ

We don't know the relationship to George & David Penman but we do know that they both named two of their daughters, Elizabeth and Jane.  That is why I was so interested in this post as the naming pattern was so similar.   Is that site you mentioned free or a payment one?  Thank you for your comments, it is always good to view other people's hints and comments.  Take care, Mary Cudmore

Offline colliersbairn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 20 September 20 21:06 BST (UK) »
The site is "Internet Archive". It has digital copies of books from all over the world and it is free. They have a lot of the Scottish Folio Society books, family histories etc. It's a bit tricky to work.

https://archive.org/index.php

Offline spuddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 21 September 20 03:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I am a member but not knowing what part of Scotland George may have come from makes it difficult to zero in on.  I spent about an hour earlier this evening going through some of the searches on the archives site. Thanks again.