Author Topic: Derbyshire Baptist History  (Read 21452 times)

Offline littleclaire

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me!
    • View Profile
Derbyshire Baptist History
« on: Sunday 09 March 08 19:37 GMT (UK) »
If anyone has Baptists in Derbyshire there is a new book out called "The Baptists of Derbyshire" 1650-1914 by Stephen Greasley (who is minister of Pear Tree Road Baptist, Derby). I have borrowed a copy and it has information on when many of the churches were founded and also some of the original ministers. As someone who's ancestor was a Baptist Minister in Hartlepool in th 19th century I know how difficult any Baptist info is to find, so if anyone is interested in the book let me know - I'm happy to tell you if any information you might want is in there.

Claire

Will also put this information in the occupations board
Bettington/Mattey (Herefordshire) Jones (Wales/Shropshire) Forsyth (Durham) Nicholls (Sedgeley) Wright (N Yorkshire) Hankinson (Lancashire) Wray (yorkshire) Gray (Alton Hampshire)
Rouse (Oxfordshire) Waterhouse (Leicestershire) Ironmonger (Leicestershire) Cruddace (Durham) Young (Durham/Northbld)
Price (Blackburn/Wales) Turnbull (Durham) Walker (Durham)
Williamson (Durham) Hughes (Wales Bangor) Wiseman (Suffolk)
Rawlings(Glos) Smart (Glos) Bettsworth (Hamps) Dalton(Yorks) Robinson (Yorks/Dur)

Offline littleclaire

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me!
    • View Profile
Re: Derbyshire Baptist History
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 March 08 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Bettington/Mattey (Herefordshire) Jones (Wales/Shropshire) Forsyth (Durham) Nicholls (Sedgeley) Wright (N Yorkshire) Hankinson (Lancashire) Wray (yorkshire) Gray (Alton Hampshire)
Rouse (Oxfordshire) Waterhouse (Leicestershire) Ironmonger (Leicestershire) Cruddace (Durham) Young (Durham/Northbld)
Rawlings(Glos) Smart (Glos) Bettsworth (Hamps) Dalton(Yorks) Robinson (Yorks/Dur)

Offline Anni B

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 March 08 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claire

I'd be interested to know if your book has any mention of Baptists in the Ashford-in-the-Water area.  Some of my ancestors are buried in the Baptist burial ground in Ashford Lane, the road between Ashford and Little Longstone.  I've always wondered if there was a Baptist meeting place in that vicinity. 

Regards
Anne

Offline littleclaire

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 March 08 09:27 GMT (UK) »
It does - in fact the majority of the first chapter does so - I will get back to you later with more detail

Claire

Offline martin mosley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 March 08 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Does the book cover Belper and Cromford areas in early 19th C?

I have a diary which refers to baptisms and where they took place. It would be interesting to learn more.

Best regards
Martin
Mosley; Pugh; Thorpe; Webster; Hill; Ibberson; Nicholson; Moody; Maxfield; Newbold; Lee; Adams; Walker; Tesh; Barnes; Brittlebank; Cowlishaw; Smethurst; Alsibrook

Offline littleclaire

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 March 08 17:52 GMT (UK) »

I'd be interested to know if your book has any mention of Baptists in the Ashford-in-the-Water area. Some of my ancestors are buried in the Baptist burial ground in Ashford Lane, the road between Ashford and Little Longstone. I've always wondered if there was a Baptist meeting place in that vicinity.

Some general information....
The graveyard was probably found under the protectorate of Cromwell (1652-1658) when Cromwell gave a free expression to religious opinions
It is the only Baptist thing left in the Peak District now
There was evidence of Baptists in Monyash in 1668
There is a Baptisimal register for the Presbyterian chapel at Ashford from 1789 to 1826 at Derbyshire record office
A baptist church was registered in the area in the minutes of the general assembly of baptists in 1654-1728
Apparently there was another burial ground at Blackwell that served the church
In 1729 a meeting house was erected beside the graveyard you mentioned (for £70) and was completed in 1760
The Baptists in Ashford were closed in 1839

There is more information in the book, including info on some contributers and preachers/ministers.

I don't know what else you might want to know?

Claire

Offline littleclaire

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 March 08 18:05 GMT (UK) »

Does the book cover Belper and Cromford areas in early 19th C?

There is a whole chapter on Belper and Crich which has info on early 19th century - ministers, membership size etc
Cromford never had a chapel , but did have a deacon based in the church in Wirksworth but they did have a preaching room. There is a whole chapter on Wirksworth.

Let me know any specifics you would like to know

Claire

Offline Anni B

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 March 08 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Claire

Thank you for that information.  I'd be interested to know if the surname BERLEY/BIRLEY appears anywhere.

A relative has sent me images of the front and back fly pages of a book (John Bunyan's "Solomon's Temple Spiritualised") which belonged to a common ancestor who wrote on it "George Berley his book 1753".  In 1903 George's great grandson Samuel listed the names, dates and burial places of his parents, grandparents and great grandparents in the book.  According to him they were buried at Ashford Lane from 1789 until 1870 (so the burial place must have continued in use after the meeting house was closed?)

What may be of interest to others researching Derbyshire Baptists:
Samuel noted "The chief families buried at Ashford Lane are  : BIRLEY of Ashford, Bradwell and Wardlow and BRASHFIELD, BRAMWELL, MAWREY, MIDDLETON, TAYLOR, THORPE, WHITE and KITSON of Ashford".

Once again, many thanks

Anne

Offline littleclaire

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 18:32 GMT (UK) »
hi Ann

Just read in the book that there is a burial in 1904 there, so the graveyard was used long after the chapel closed.
The Bakewell historical society believe that the graveyard may have been open to the Quakers too. There is mention of John Birley of Bradwell who d1831 and of Josiah and Hannah Birley of Wardlow.

George Birley submitted information for the 1851 census. He was also recommended to the North Derbyshire conference on Christmas Day 1844 to become a minister in the Ashford-Bradwell area to help revive the flailing churches but nothing became of the scheme.

Hope you find that interesting...

Claire