Author Topic: Derbyshire Baptist History  (Read 21455 times)

Offline Indigogirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Derbyshire Baptist History
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 12 August 08 23:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking Claire - no luck this time but you never know when you will strike gold
Edwards, Williams, Griffiths, Gittins in Denbighshire, Merionethshire
Edwards, Price/Peirce in Monmouthshire.
Kosh in London and Newcastle.
Turnbull, Elder, Forster in Newcastle
Smart, Raycord/Record in Rowley Regis,Staffs
Edwards in Pontefract, Castleford, Matlock
Frith, Gregory in Matlock
Wadsworth, Shephard in Brotherton
Fagan, Lawless in Sheffield

Offline OURLASS

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 19:27 BST (UK) »
Greetings from Canada.
My 3x great grandfather was John Smedley who was a Baptist preacher/minister first in Melbourne, Derbyshire  and later at Retford in Nottinghamshire (1790 to 1826)  If he is mentioned in the book I would love to purchase a copy. 
Honor Smedley
Hamilton, Ontario

Offline littleclaire

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 23 November 08 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Honor

I have just been going back through my old posts and realised I missed this one. I am really sorry. I'll have a look and get back to you later on today.

Claire
Bettington/Mattey (Herefordshire) Jones (Wales/Shropshire) Forsyth (Durham) Nicholls (Sedgeley) Wright (N Yorkshire) Hankinson (Lancashire) Wray (yorkshire) Gray (Alton Hampshire)
Rouse (Oxfordshire) Waterhouse (Leicestershire) Ironmonger (Leicestershire) Cruddace (Durham) Young (Durham/Northbld)
Price (Blackburn/Wales) Turnbull (Durham) Walker (Durham)
Williamson (Durham) Hughes (Wales Bangor) Wiseman (Suffolk)
Rawlings(Glos) Smart (Glos) Bettsworth (Hamps) Dalton(Yorks) Robinson (Yorks/Dur)

Offline littleclaire

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 23 November 08 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Honor

There is a whole chapter on the church in Melbourne - particularly in the early years (it was one of the first Baptist Churches in Derbyshire).
Your John Smedley is mentioned as having assisted the ministers Francis Smith and Thomas Perkins. I also mentions him assisting with the mission in the city of Derby, his participation in a Baptism service in the river Derwent and mentions his move to Retford. Apparently five men were in contention for the ministry at Retford and the church drew lots for the appointment.

If you still would like to buy a copy I can give you information on the author and how to contact him. He is always interested to hear of people who have a connection with Derbyshire Baptist history.

Claire
Bettington/Mattey (Herefordshire) Jones (Wales/Shropshire) Forsyth (Durham) Nicholls (Sedgeley) Wright (N Yorkshire) Hankinson (Lancashire) Wray (yorkshire) Gray (Alton Hampshire)
Rouse (Oxfordshire) Waterhouse (Leicestershire) Ironmonger (Leicestershire) Cruddace (Durham) Young (Durham/Northbld)
Rawlings(Glos) Smart (Glos) Bettsworth (Hamps) Dalton(Yorks) Robinson (Yorks/Dur)

Offline grmather

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 05:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I see that this thread has been quiet for a year - but I am interested in anything to do with the baptist worshippers of Swanwick near Alfreton.  My Great Great Grandfather was Samuel Mather born c. 1810.  He and his wife, Rosamond Robinson (born c. 1811), appear to have worshipped at the Baptist Church in Swanwick.  However - somebody at the local history society told me that all records had been lost in a fire?

I am stuck with my family research and have been for a couple of years regarding the Mathers.  Very frustrating.

Any ideas that anybody has about further sources of information would be most welcome.

Guy
Mather, Croft, Moore, Thurkettle, Bird

Offline littleclaire

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 05 March 10 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guy

Sorry it's been so long. I was replying to another thread and realised I hadn't replied to you yet. Hope you still get this.

There is some mention of Swanwick in the book I have, although no mention of the Mathers. There are still some records available (a minute book from 1804 onwards being one of them) but I would not know where to get hold of it unfortunately - but I could give you a name! Did you know that Swanwick Baptist has a graveyard? I guess if your family worshipped there for a while there may be some evidence of them there. Also, Swanwick was a Particular Baptist and I wonder if you might get some info from them?

Hope you get this

Claire

Offline smouse

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 06 March 10 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claire

A fire!!  I really hope not but I would also be interesting in that contact name you have.  It would be nice to find out once and for all if there any records still around for Swanwick chapel.  Oh and if anyone is interested there is a picture of said chapel below (including its graveyard!).

Damian

Offline Billy Fish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 08 March 10 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claire,

Is there perhaps any mention of Wilkinsons from Ticknall, possibly using Melbourne or Castle Donnington Churchs. I'm particularly interested in Robert who was born about 1798, the son I believe of Robert Snr and Elizabeth Ford. I have a sneaking feeling that he may have been baptised a few years later in Ilkeston (on LDS)

If you're still looking for North East Baptists  there's some useful info on this website http://www.billgreenwell.com/fish_tree/index.php?key_id=669

Offline bspring

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 02 April 10 02:37 BST (UK) »
Hello.  I am new to this chat room.  I am interested in the Melbourne Baptists.  My family names are SALSBURY, ROBEY, and CROXALL.  Thank you