Author Topic: Allingham and Magan marriage 1854  (Read 11192 times)

Offline chappers

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Allingham and Magan marriage 1854
« Reply #9 on: Friday 11 February 11 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi, many thanks indeed for sending me a copy of Jane Allingham's marriage certificate.  I was interested to read it.  I'm hoping the John Allingham, labourer, on it is the same one who was father of William.  You will have heard of the survey of Ireland called Griffiths Valuation which was done in Co. Fermanagh in about 1857.  I looked at it online and could find only one John Allingham in Co. Fermanagh, in the townland of Sandhill, Inishmacsaint.  There's also a George Kerr at Derrygonelly.  I wondered if you had any details from the death certificate, if you have it,  of Margaret Allingham nee Irwin who died 1876, such as one of her family members being the informant etc.
Thanks again for the interesting information
Carol
Orr, Withers, Allingham

Offline Bewcastlegirl

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 February 12 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
My maiden name is Rutherford and I have been researching the Rutherford family tree for a while.
We have the  Jane Magan mentioned above in the family tree. She married George Rutherford on 06/08/1846 at Monea Church, Devenish, Fermanagh. Her father is given as Luke Magan, labourer and her age is 22.
George is also 22, occupation blacksmith. His father is John Rutherford, farmer.
George and Jane's abode is Drummally for both of them.

It is a possibility that Luke Magan worked for John Rutherford. They both appear in the Devenish parish census of 1841 as inhabitants of Dromary along with George.

The Rutherfords lived at Dromenure, Dromary or Drummally. I have a baptism certificate for George and Jane's son Thomas and at that time (1848) they lived at Drumnure. I guess spellings were a bit fluid around that time and also writing can be difficult to read at times. I think it will take a visit to Ireland to sort out the place names.

Hope this is of interest and any more information about the Magans or Rutherfords would be great. I have reached a dead end with on-line records at the moment.

Offline chappers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 February 12 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bewcastlegirl

Thank you for your message, I was very interested in its contents and have been checking through the research I'd done previously on the name of Magan.   One of the witnesses to the marriage of my great great grandparents William and Esther in 1854 was a David Magan.  I found on a genealogy site that a David Magan married a Jane Patterson and they became the parents of another David Magan, born 1867 at Florencecourt, Killesher.  There is then a record of a David Magan born 1867 departing from Liverpool for Nova Scotia and then on to Quebec in 1894.  Not sure if this information concerns the wedding witness though.  There is also a Luke Magan, born Ireland 1830, in a census of Minneapolis for June 1870
Are you descended from Jane Rutherford nee Magan - if so you and I may be distant cousins.  I have seen on Emerald Ancestors that a Thomas  Rutherford married 'Anne' in 1877, who is in the Irish censuses  of 1901/11. I expect you have seen these also.
Perhaps we could exchange information as and when we are able to find it.
Regards, Carol

Orr, Withers, Allingham

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 February 12 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   15 Jun 1877 Thomas Rutherford married Anne Acheson in Devonish Church of Ireland, Enniskillen District.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline chappers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 February 12 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kingskerswell

Thanks for the information on the Rutherford marriage.
Carol
Orr, Withers, Allingham