Author Topic: Holly mount records?  (Read 15609 times)

Offline Ravintola

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Holly mount records?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 16 October 08 21:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this help.  I hadn't realised that the mother's maiden name was stated on birth certificates in the 1920's.  I now know that she was Sarah Moore and I have found her on the 1901 census as an inmate at HollyMount aged 8.  I have also now located the marriage date of September 1922 in Bury with John Collinson and know that they lived on Bolton Road, Hawkshaw so already making excellent progress!

I have also found her sister who in the 1901 census was at Hollymount aged 5 (Mary Moore).  I do not have further details for her.

Now that I know the names, can anyone please suggest the next step in finding a) length of time Sarah was at Hollymount and parental details and b) details of the graves of my family.

Many thanks for the two responses so far

Offline peggytoof

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi im a newbie,can anyone tell me how to find records on Hollymount convent? my nan was said to have been bought up there.all i have regarding info is her name & DoB.
Ethel O'Neil b1910 Rotherham Yorkshire.kind regards

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi & welcome peggytoof, i do hope we can help you in some way with your request. Do you have any idea how & why she endded up on this side of the pennines?

If any one is looking to try and trace any sort of records from hollymount, the only link i have found to do with them is as follows. The archives of HollyMount's childrens home went to :

Images removed as it may infringe copy rights

Migky  ;)

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 12:34 GMT (UK) »
The nuns from Hollymount were a Belgium order and have tried to find any records of there but they seemed to have been destroyed when they left Hollymount. You could try contacing Salford diocese, as i am sure with them been catholics they would have come under there rule so to speak? I have tried a long time back but never got any reply to my emails
Migky  ;)

Offline Jed59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Peggytoof, the birth reference for Ethel is

Ethel O'neill  Rotherham  Dec 1910 9c 766  so you can get her birth cert now either by writing to rotherham register office or order online from the GRO  www.gro.gov.uk
Rotherham register  Office

Bailey House
Rawmarsh Road
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
S60 1TX

Tel +44 (0)1709 823542

Hope that helps
best
jed

Offline Ravintola

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 01 November 08 17:45 GMT (UK) »
I have just purchased the Holly Mount book "A Labour of Love" and note that on the back page it mentions my two great aunts - Florence & Kitty Collinson - 11 year prize for Faithful service from the 1924 report.    Does anyone have any further information on them or memories perhaps.

Offline peggytoof

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 02 November 08 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Peggytoof, the birth reference for Ethel is

Ethel O'neill  Rotherham  Dec 1910 9c 766  so you can get her birth cert now either by writing to rotherham register office or order online from the GRO  www.gro.gov.uk
Rotherham register  Office

Bailey House
Rawmarsh Road
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
S60 1TX

Tel +44 (0)1709 823542

Hope that helps
best
jed
thanks Jed,most grateful,kind regards Lisaxxx

Offline peggytoof

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 27 February 09 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks,long time no see!!!!!!!
As you all know i've been searching for my nanna Ethel O'Neil.She was brought up at Holly Mount,up until last weekend i had very little to go on.But i've had a breakthrough!!!!!!!!
On a rare visit to Summerseat last weekend i find out that my auntie had Ethel's B/C all along!!!!
Ethel O'Neil was actually born on 31/10/1909 in the registration district of Chorlton,at 6 upper Brook St,south Manchester!!!!!!!
She married my granddad Harry Whitworth on 26/05/1934 at St Hilda's,the chapel attached to Holly Mount!!!!!!
So as you can see ,I've got a bit more to go on now,although i would still like to know why she was left there.I bought the book "A labour of love" inside was  another girl named O'Neil,it says in the book she was one of many girls confirmed there,her name was Veronica O'Neil,in another book i saw in Tottington Library called Alpha,Omega,Phoenix,was a list of girls who died & where buried there,on the list was Rosie O'Neil died  02/04/1915,if anyone recognizes these names can they let me know,even if its so i can discount them.
If anyones interested i got a phone number from Bury central library,the lady there is going to search the Holly Mount records for me,she says it should take about 2 weeks,fingers crossed the number is 016143277461

Offline Frithy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 27 February 09 16:19 GMT (UK) »
That should mean shes on the 1911 census at either Chorlton or Holly Mount. But I cant see her. please can anyone Help?
NELLIS.   NEALIS.   SCHOFIELD.   FRITH.   BARBER .  GODBEHERE. SHOOTER. STANWAY. WOODALL. ARNOLD. CARLIN

STOCKPORT. WIRKSWORTH. CHAPLE EN LE FRITH. HAZEL GROVE.