Author Topic: Stewart of Garth, Perth Scotland Lookup  (Read 20919 times)

Offline Cambron

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stewart of Garth, Perth Scotland Lookup
« Reply #45 on: Friday 25 December 09 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Info for flogged

Gordon McGregor's Red Book of Perthshire has all the information you are looking for.You have to pay to download it but it is worth the investment.
My interest is where one of the lines of your family marry in to the Aysouns of Tulliemet  :)

Offline flogged

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 25 December 09 12:13 GMT (UK) »
And a joggy golly gosh Merry Xmas at you all from Down Under.

These are the names I have worked out with the "STEWART" line;
Going backward from FREER, BLAIR and into STEWART.
Helln Blair c1680-1751,daughter of John Blair 8th of Ardblair c1650
and Isobel Stewart, daughter of
James STEWART 1st of Ladywell, and Margaret Moncreif,
James is son of;
John STEWART 3rd of Fincastle c1600 & Margaret Cairwood,
John is son of James STEWART 2nd of Fincastle & Unknown,
James is son of;
Robert STEWART 1st of Fincastle & Agnes Gray,
Robert is son of;
John STEWART & Unknown,
John is son of;
David STEWART & Unknown,
David is son of;
James STEWART & Janet Menzies,
James is son of;
Alexander STEWART Earl of Buchan, The Wolf of Badenoch, and
Mairead Ingean Eachann,
Alexander was 4th son of Robert II King of Scotland.
What we have are the names plus most siblings of the people mentioned here,
we would like to try and find at least the year theses were born and a more comfy location rather than just "Scotland", these names and titles were provided by the Stewart Society in Scotlandthe information in the pages sent to me was for particular events and the locations of the events but not for births or deaths.

Freer, Stewart, Blair, Bruce, Wylie, Henderson, Nichols, Ward, Weddell, Waddell, Lear, Gruneison, Maitland, Freeman, Sawyers, Logan, Phillips, Whitely.
and several others.

Offline flogged

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 25 December 09 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Info for flogged

Gordon McGregor's Red Book of Perthshire has all the information you are looking for.You have to pay to download it but it is worth the investment.
My interest is where one of the lines of your family marry in to the Aysouns of Tulliemet  :)
Thank you Cambron, yes I have had contact with Gordon but things did not look good at that time to employ him to do the research at that time, things are starting  to pick up and I will be in touch with him again soon.
Freer, Stewart, Blair, Bruce, Wylie, Henderson, Nichols, Ward, Weddell, Waddell, Lear, Gruneison, Maitland, Freeman, Sawyers, Logan, Phillips, Whitely.
and several others.

Offline flogged

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 25 December 09 12:20 GMT (UK) »
I will look about for the papers sent from the Stewart Society to see if I can find the clan/clans of the siblings noted in the papers.
and several others.

Offline sheilat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 25 December 09 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Ah, well, not the same Margaret Black Menzies. Thanks for replying. Meanwhile, Merry Christmas to all from icy, snowy, windy southern Missouri.

Offline rachelnz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 13 March 10 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Flagged
Sorry but I'm not following you!
Can you give me some names of your direct ancestors with places and dates of birth in the 19th century (if in Scotland)? If they had emigrated by then can you give me your most recent Scottish ancestor from the 18th century?
I am descended from 3 lines of Stewarts all in Southethern Perthshire (where I was born and brought up myself), and so have a big database to check.
Look forward to seeing if you fit in!
val

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and just wondered if my ancestor Janet Hutton (nee: Stewart) from Perthshire is related at all to any of your ancestors mentioned in this forum.  I also see that ev you have the surname Hutton listed as one of your family names so wondered if linked to my Hutton's ancestors.

All I know is that Peter and Janet (nee: Stewart) Hutton had 3 children who emigrated to Otago, New Zealand from Perthshire, Scotland in 1860's.  James (born 1842), my great grand mother Mary (born 1845) and Peter Hutton. Peter Hutton (senior) was a government official in Scotland.

I'd be grateful to hear from anyone who might know more about these Huttons or whether my Janet Stewart is related to any of your Stewart ancestors on this forum.  Many thanks Rachel

Offline flogged

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 13 March 10 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi rachelnz, I personally have follow backward with a great deal of help from everyone in many sites, therefore one the one line only, I have not looked at branchouts, coming forward from Robert II King of Scotland with his son Alexandra there is very little information with marriages and children, but if you make contact with Gordon MacGregor who has put together the "Red book of Perthshire" he may be able to help, Stewart Society in Scotland can give some help but they also refor to Gordon for help.
He can be found with a simply net search.
and several others.

Offline rachelnz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 14 March 10 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks flogged, your info and message is much appreciated.  Cheers Rachel

Offline flogged

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 14 March 10 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rachelnz, I have found that with branchouts there is little information held so far as royal ties, only those that where of the main line had stuff kept on record, anything else was done by family if at all. I have had correspondence with Gordon and he is helpful to the best of his ability, he researched all the families of the areas. hence "The Redbook of Perthshire"
and several others.