Author Topic: Merchant Seamen  (Read 651 times)

Offline mallow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Merchant Seamen
« on: Wednesday 12 March 08 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Is there  a site that deals with Merchant Seamen like records pensions and medals aquired during WW1 I have an ancesters Medal from WW1 but would love to find out more about him Thank You.

Offline O1dgobbo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Seamen
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi mallow

My merchant seaman ancestor received the Atlantic Star via the Board of Trade in about 1921.  He was also entitled to the Victory medal but as this had already been awarded for his military service the BoT deleted this from their forms.  The correspondence indicates that he was first invited to apply for the medal, then authorised to receive it and finally was sent it by registered post.  Presumably there will be records of this activity in the national archives but I do not know where to search.

What medal have you found?

Good luck

Gobbo
Aberdeenshire - Chalmers, Crocker, Dalrymple, Kelman
Fife - Co?per, Dun, Jackson
NE England - Harland, Hasted, Heaviside, Longridge, Thompson
SE England - Drawbridge, Hall, Hayward, Howard, Newell, Seward, Slade, Smith

Offline mallow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 March 08 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Gobbo,  the one I have is I think a Campaign Medal with (Man on Horse)?  with Seamans name on the rim :)

Offline O1dgobbo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 March 08 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mallow

I wish I was less careless in my posts.  The merchant navy medal in WW1 was the Mercantile Marine Medal 1914-1918, which has a ship on the reverse.  (The Atlantic Star was WW2.) 

Your medal with a horse-rider on the reverse is the British War Medal 1914-1918.  It was worn with a ribbon with a wide yellow central stripe flanked by narrow white stripes then a black line and a narrow blue stripe along the outer edges.  See

http://www.worldmedals.co.uk/Rib/Britrib/britribb.htm

Merchant seamen could qualify for up to four medals and a merchant seamen, who received the British War Medal was probably eligible for the Mercantile Marine Medal and may also have received the Victory Medal depending on how long he was at sea and where he went.  See

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=133&j=1

My documents seem to indicate, however, that merchant seamen had to apply to the Board of Trade for their medals - they were not issued automatically.  Your relative should be listed in one of the documents described in the above National Archives leaflet.

Good luck

Gobbo
Aberdeenshire - Chalmers, Crocker, Dalrymple, Kelman
Fife - Co?per, Dun, Jackson
NE England - Harland, Hasted, Heaviside, Longridge, Thompson
SE England - Drawbridge, Hall, Hayward, Howard, Newell, Seward, Slade, Smith

Offline Ice Tiger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 March 08 21:19 GMT (UK) »
You have a Silver War Medal.

You should also have a (bronze) Mercantile Marine medal to go with it.

Andy

Researching Great War Dead from Addlestone Surrey. See my website - www.addlestonegreatwardead.com - Also Family Surnames of Busst, Whatling, Goulter