Author Topic: DLI advice  (Read 1955 times)

Offline fossey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
DLI advice
« on: Wednesday 12 March 08 21:26 GMT (UK) »
I have a medal card for my grandfather and also his marriage cert.  On the medal card it says date of entry 9.10.15 - France.

On his marriage cert it says Private 1st DLI then his number.

How do I know which batallion he was in, and any other information I can find on him being in the war, he didn't die.

Thanks

Angela
Liley/Wood - Chester-le-Street/Yorkshire
Ryan/Moffatt/Henderson/Foster/Willis/McMillan - Chester-le-Street
Langham/Arnold/Sizer - Suffolk
Noble/Ditchfield/Barton - Lancashire
Doyle/Nicholson - Cumberland

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: DLI advice
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Angela,
What date was his marriage?
His battalion at the time was apparently 1st DLI as you've said.

However, if you have the right medal card then it doesn't appear that he was in the 1st DLI during the war as they were in India for the duration.

http://www.1914-1918.net/dli.htm

Perhaps if you post the MIC here there are some more clues there?
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 March 08 00:08 GMT (UK) »
  On the medal card it says date of entry 9.10.15 - France.
Angela

my first thoughts are that was around the time the new army (service) battalions were going to france (for the DLI, 10th onwards)

as Neil rightly says, we might be able to help more if we see the card it's self

Offline fossey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 March 08 17:22 GMT (UK) »
I am enclosing the medal card.

He got married in 1920, but was a coal miner by then.  The medal card is correct as is the same number on the marriage cert.

I would love to know where he was and what he did.

thanks for your help

Angela

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 March 08 20:00 GMT (UK) »
well there's nothing there i can see that says he was in the 1st battalion, he has a second number but i'm not 100% sure it is a territorial number

he went to (1) France on the 9th Oct 1915, he was entitled to the 14/15 star, the british war and the victory medal

it seems he was commissioned as well, if i read that correctly in the remarks box it says lieutenant

i will see if i can work out which batt he was in when he was re-numbered

chris

Offline fossey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 March 08 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Chris

Thanks very much, I look forward to hearing from you.  It said 1st DLI on his marriage cert, that is where I got that from.

Angela

Offline Ice Tiger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 March 08 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

Unfortunately I can't find his MIC on Ancestry (they are in colour & include the back of the card). Not unusual as not all of the MIC's are there yet. As for two Regt numbers, that is far from unusual as men often moved Regt's. The fact that the 1st Battn Durham light infantry is listed means that he served with them, not that he spent the whole of the war with them.

Do you have the medals? If so you may see that the inscription changes from the star to the BWM & Victory medal. If you don't have the medals, try checking the Medal Roll for the Battn, this may shed some light.

Also if he was commissioned he should have lost his number. There are examples of Officers who had numbers but this is rare!

If you need further help send me a pm as the Great War is my area of interest  :)

Andy 
Researching Great War Dead from Addlestone Surrey. See my website - www.addlestonegreatwardead.com - Also Family Surnames of Busst, Whatling, Goulter

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 March 08 10:22 GMT (UK) »
it's not unusual for a soldier to have two numbers in the same regiment if he was serving in a territorial battalion, as they were re-numbered with six figure numbers in 1917.

if he would have moved regiments then he would have had a new number but his new regiment would have been on the card as well and an indication as to which regiment issued his  medals.

what is unusual on his card is that there is a second number but it's too low to be a territorial 1917 number ( these started at 200000)

going back to my original musing i thought he went to france  around the time the new armies (K1,2,3) went over. making him a 1914/15 volunteer. doing a quick analysis of the numbers in the 25*** range, they were given out to the service battalions raised in 1914 (generally 10th to 15th) which strengthens my conclusions

These battalions had been disbanded by 1920 and yet James was still stating his occupation as soldier and giving service number on his MC , i am wondering if he actually stayed on in the army and was in the 1st battn by that time ( the 1st battn being a regular army unit)

if he did stay on beyond 1923 then his service records will be with the MOD in Glasgow. The other way of ascertaining the battalion ( assuming his records don't appear on ancestry) would be to get someone to look at the medal rolls at Kew and the info from them

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 March 08 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Also if he was commissioned he should have lost his number. There are examples of Officers who had numbers but this is rare!Andy

However Angela, if you research an officer they do have a number. 

For records held at TNA this can be found in  WO 338 which is the  index to service records, and records surname, initials, regiment, unique long number, rank and remarks.  The long number usually refers to WO 339 which covers their service during WW1.

Even Officers records held in Glasgow have a "long number"

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire