Author Topic: Wallasey Bombings  (Read 1919 times)

Offline Welsh Chris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Wallasey Bombings
« on: Wednesday 12 March 08 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Two members of my family , Alexander Ramsay age 50 and his mother in law Janet Potter , were killed during an air raid on Wallasey on December 20th 1940. They lived at Manor Rd. Can anyone tell me what happened to survivors - in this case Alexander's wife Frances Margaret Ramsay and possibly children? I have no idea what became of her after this night, she was not shown as a casualty.
THOMAS - Swansea/Llanelli. FORSE - Devon/Canada/USA. Toolan(various spellings) - Scotland/Lancashire. CUDMORE - Devon. MOGRIDGE - Devon. WALDRON - Devon. WARNER - England/Wales. WILLIAMS - Swansea.

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Wallasey Bombings
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 March 08 19:48 GMT (UK) »
http://www.wirral-libraries.net/display.php?title=wcref&subtitle=locallib

You could try here and see if they have anything about the air raid in the local newspapers of
the time. Good luck
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Welsh Chris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 March 08 21:16 GMT (UK) »
thank you!
THOMAS - Swansea/Llanelli. FORSE - Devon/Canada/USA. Toolan(various spellings) - Scotland/Lancashire. CUDMORE - Devon. MOGRIDGE - Devon. WALDRON - Devon. WARNER - England/Wales. WILLIAMS - Swansea.

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 March 08 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi
There is a book called Wallasey at War 1939-1945 which was published for the Wallasey Historical Society by Ian & Marilyn Boumphrey  ISBN 1-899241-14-0 It has details about the raids and photos of damage etc, It also has a list of casualties (including your interests). Its costs less than 10GDP and is available at many bookshops in the Wallasey area. You should also be able to get it online from major bookstores or direct from Ian Boumphrey (link below)

http://www.yesterdayswirral.co.uk/4554.html

Andy

Offline Welsh Chris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 March 08 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Andy. Order on its way!

Offline Certacito

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 March 08 08:53 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if it was the same bomb(s) that destroyed Lancaster Avenue? Everyone in an air raid shelter were killed but they found a baby girl alive some days later.  She had been protected by the bodies of her parents.  I believe she is still alive today and living in Canada.

I presume it must have been the site of the present Manor Road police station?
Moreton. McKeown.