Author Topic: 1841 Census - look up please  (Read 9655 times)

Offline sft456

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1841 Census - look up please
« on: Thursday 13 March 08 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Henry William C Newick, our Great x 2 Grandfather was b in Bristol in 1825, m Mary Ann (nee unknown) in 1846 and d in 18/9/1888.

We are trying to find his/her parents and have a number of possible candidates such as John and Ann b 1786/1789, he in Somerset, she in Warwickshire

If anyone can locate HWC in the 1841 Census, this might give his family and also his marriage details

We have several look up requests in Pallots Index concerning a John Newick and Mary Cox, a John Newick and Sarah Carter and a James Newick and Ann Deacon, all possible contenders for his/her parents

Thanks in anticipation

Simon

Offline derekchesh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census - look up please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 March 08 10:36 GMT (UK) »
hi Simon - is this "Cludgey Newick" on the 1851 census ??

Derek

Offline SueTeakle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 March 08 10:44 GMT (UK) »
This baptism record is interesting:-

William Henry Chidgey Newick
Baptised on 19th March 1837 at St John, Bedminster
Born on 14th January 1824 - Base Born
Mother - Rebecca Newick of Wardrobe Place
Occupation - Servant
Minister - W Seaton Jnr

Sue
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline derekchesh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 March 08 10:50 GMT (UK) »
The BMD record of his marriage to Mary Ann Roberts gives middle name as "Chedgey".  This name is grouped around Stowey/Petherton Somerset and is a likely surname for his father.

derek

Offline sft456

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 March 08 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sue

Thanks for this information. In the Census he is recorded as b 1825, but your record  is more definite.

What does "Base Born" mean and is Wardobe Place in Bedminster - I can only find one in the City of London. No mention of his Father?

Simon

Offline SueTeakle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 March 08 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Simon,

Base-Born means illegitimate and it`s unusual to find the name of the Father listed, though it does happen sometimes.  I`m assuming Wardrobe Place is/was in Bedminster but unfortunately there are no other address details given.
Derek suggested that Chidgey could be the surname of Williams Father and there`s a good chance he`s right, it was quite common practice to include the Fathers surname.

Sue

Offline sft456

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 March 08 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sue

I'm a little confused. or am I missing something. You say it's unsual to give the name of the father - but only the mother's name is shown - Rebecca Newick. Was his father Newick or Chedgey - with whom did Rebecca Newick have a fling?

Presumably she was a single servant (unmarried), was Newick her maiden name and her lover or employer perhaps, Chedgey?

In other word should the family be called Newick or something else. As a by-the-by, he gave all his children, boys and girls, the middle name of CHIDGEY (not Chedgey)

Simon

Offline SueTeakle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 March 08 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Simon,

Sorry if I didn`t make my self clear earlier, what I should have said was in cases of illegitimate birth it is unusual to see the name of the Father listed on the baptism record.  However what isn`t unusual is to have the surname of the Father included in the childs name.  Assuming Rebecca was single there`s a good chance the Father of her child was called Chidgey.

Sue

Offline sft456

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 March 08 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sue

Thanks again

I understand what you say, but it is pure supposition that the father was called Chidgey just because the boy is called W H Chidgey Newick. This could be a name of her choosing relating to somebody else. In your copy of the record (below) there is no mention of his father:

William Henry Chidgey Newick
Baptised on 19th March 1837 at St John, Bedminster
Born on 14th January 1824 - Base Born
Mother - Rebecca Newick of Wardrobe Place
Occupation - Servant
Minister - W Seaton Jnr

As there are no further records of her and therefore of him, before or since the above, I think this branch line is a dead end! :(

Simon