Author Topic: Soldier died WW1 lookup please  (Read 2264 times)

Offline ladysmith

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Soldier died WW1 lookup please
« Reply #9 on: Friday 14 March 08 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Jo - As a matter of interest are his medals still with the family? A WW1 Trio to a man KIA on the first day of the Somme are very valuable and ideally should be insured.

David

Offline jo brennan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Soldier died WW1 lookup please
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 March 08 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much everyone.  Yes that's exactly what I was after. ;D

Being absolutely ignorant, (but anxious to learn) about military matters, I've spent quite some time going around in circles.  I simply needed to be pointed in the right direction by the excellent team at Rootschat.

My apologies for my reaction last night - by a small way of explanation.  I have been helped by Rootschatters with this family quite a lot, when Ady said "the rest you know" I'm afraid I jumped to the conclusion that I was asking for too much help - sorry.

By some other small way of explanation, his brother, who is my primary research topic has got up to some sort of scull duggery and up to only a few weeks ago, we didn't know he had this brother or that his last name was in fact LOVE!

I spent yesterday researching researchers, once again going around in circles, we are more than happy to pay for someone to look up the three men in this family, just don't want to pay the wrong person.  One of them being potentially a sensitive lookup (the above mentioned) or a wild goose chase.  Very helpful Rootschatters have told me which series to find him in, but given it's 9 pound a pop, and from what I've read he could potentially be misfiled or in other series, I could end up spending more than a researcher would charge.

I understand that you probably cannot recommend anyone on this Forum - so I guess, I will continue to go around in circles. :)

Thanks for all your wonderful help.

Jo