Author Topic: Asset stripping!  (Read 680 times)

Offline ChasH

• My email is no longer working sorry
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
Asset stripping!
« on: Friday 14 March 08 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Chatters,

Another snippet of history from Stonehouse GLS parish records.

"Be it remembered."

"That in the year 1778 I received of the Proprietors of the Stroud Water Navigation the Sum of Fifty three Pounds Seven Shillings being the full Consideration Money for three Quarters of an Acre of Glebe Land in a Field called Great Buryfield as also for Twenty Eight Perch of Ground taken off from the lower part of the Church-yard for the Use & Purpose of the said Navigation; which Money after deducting for Commission & Brokerage is placed out in the Funds in the Name of the Reverend James Benson Doctor of Laws Chancellor of this Diocese and the Reverend James Webster Archdeacon of this Diocese in the Purchase of Eighty five Pounds one Shilling & Sixpence Capitol Stock.  The interests of which, viz, Two Pounds Eleven Shillings is for the Benefit of myself & Sucessors for ever."

It was signed by the vicar.  I wonder if the present vicar is owed some back pay :)

Regards

Chas

My email is no longer working sorry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Bevstn:DAVIES:HIGGS:PERROT
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
ChSod:HARDING:HIGGS
Colrne:GOLDEN
G Bad:DAVIES
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG
K'St:BISHOP:PINEGAR
Marsh'd:BLAKE
Minch:HILL:MASON:PERRIN
N.Nib:PERROT:SHATFORD:WAYMAN:WOODWARD
N.Wrax:BLAKE