Author Topic: Macosquin Church Records  (Read 7083 times)

Offline BrnCam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Macosquin Church Records
« on: Friday 14 March 08 21:19 GMT (UK) »
I was at the local library the other day looking for Macosquin Church of Ireland records but there didn't seem to be anything. Would the Church itself still hold records? I was looking for a marriage in and around 1880 and had tried the registrars office but they couldn't come up with a match. I'm not even sure the marriage took place in Macosquin but there is a strong tie there with the maidan name I have.
Articlave area, Campbell, Baird, Watton, McNabb, Ross and Bell

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Macosquin Church Records
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 March 08 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Not sure where you mean by 'local library' but Coleraine Library, Queen Street has microfilmed copies of some local church records. Box 70 for Macosquin (Camus) Church of Ireland only has Vestry Minute Books 1793-1869.
The church microfilms in the library collection were originally purchased by Coleraine Branch of North of Ireland Family History Society and were housed in the Irish Room collection until it was closed and some of the resources were moved to the main library. The microfilms were purchased from PRONI. If PRONI hadn't gotten permission to film those particular church records then they are not in the PRONI or Coleraine collection.
Coleraine Registry Office are fantastically helpful and if they couldn't locate the marriage in Macosquin C. of I. or anywhere else (their records are now indexed) it sounds as though the marriage either took place outside the area, names mistranscribed or somehow missing from the index.
The marriage records for Macosquin C. of I. would be in local custody but should be the same as the registers in Cloonavin.
If you post the names of the bride and groom or any details that you do have it's very likely someone here will be able to find a reference of when and where the marriage did take place.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 March 08 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Is it the Campbell - Dinsmore marriage you are looking for?
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,283675.msg1669799.html#msg1669799

Offline BrnCam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 March 08 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello aghadowey,
Yes it was Coleraine library  and I was disappointed when I found they only had the Vestry Minute book.You're right about the registry office they are very helpful and we did have a good search the last day I was down. The closest I could get to a William Campbell to marriage to a Margaret Dinsmore was a James Campbell/Margaret Dinsmore in Killowen. I have since got a copy of the census form for 1901 and I don't think I can tie the two together. I thought maybe William could have been a William James, but he is always listed as William on the baptism records of his children.
I thought maybe Macosquin would be a good place to search as it was close to Articlave and Dinsmore is a popular name round those parts.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 March 08 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Is there any possibilty that the bride's name would not have been in the register (wherever the marriage took place) as Dinsmore but under another surname (step-father's name, married or other maiden name, etc.?)
Co. Derry marriages for a William Campbell to Margaret _ :
1876 bride- Margaret Riddles
1882 bride- Margaret McLaughlin

Offline BrnCam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 March 08 15:38 GMT (UK) »
The name Dinsmore is used on the Baptismal records so I think it would be strange if she used another name when getting married.
Margaret Riddles was married to a William Campbell and I've come across their names in the church records for St. Paul's Dunboe around the same time as William  Campbell and Margaret (Dinsmore).
I haven't come across the baptismal record for their first born, I was hoing if I could track this down that it might help. Maybe  the first born son (William Campbell) was baptised in the mothers church?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 March 08 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes it's the custom for first child to be baptised in the church the parents were married in (usually the bride's chuurch).
Strange that there's no sign of the marriage anywhere yet. Do you know when the first child was born as it might help locate a baptism and the marriage.