Author Topic: Completed -Look up reguest medal roll China - Sgt J.W.ST0REY and QM R.G. STOREY  (Read 2565 times)

Offline Sturdy

• RootsChat Member
  • John PARK and Louisa Jane PARK (nee STOREY) 1889
    • View Profile
Looking to trace the military history of my g/g/g/grandfather John William STOREY who was a Pte to Sgt with the 2/60 Royal Rifles Regt. I believe he went to China in the late 1860's and returned with the Regiment on the  troopship HMS SIMOON. His regsitered number was 4315.

Also on this ship with this Regiment was a Quarter Master R.G. STOREY? I would like to know as much as possible about these gentleman and would like to establish if they were issued with the China Medal. I would like to also find out the regsitered number of R.G.STOREY as he may have even seen service in Crimea given his rank? I have a suspicion he was I John's uncle?

Thanking you in advance

Sturdy
STOREY Family London (Spitialfields, Shoreditch, Lambeth, Wandsworth) & Ballarat Aust 

PARK family Glasgow

MILLS (MILES) Family Kirkmaiden - Wigtownshire, Glasgow & Geelong Vic and Moulamein NSW, Aust

MILLER family London (Bethnal Green, Mile End Old Town) & Auckland, NZ

AVON family Cobh, Queenstown, Cashel (HUSSEY Family), Ireland & Melbourne Australia -

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Look up reguest medal roll China - Sgt J.W.ST0REY and QM R.G. STOREY
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 March 08 09:22 GMT (UK) »
No John William Storey on the China 1860 medal roll I'm afraid.

We do though have 4543 Sgt-Major Richard Storey, 2/60th Rifles.
Very probably the same man as your Quartermaster. QM was a commissioned rank, but traditionally went to a man who'd risen though the ranks. Many ex Sgt-Majors became QMs.

Indeed the LG confirms it. "Sgt-Major Richard Storey to be Quartermaster. 4th June 1861" He exchanged to the 20th Regt on 21st April 1863.
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline fordy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 March 08 11:11 GMT (UK) »

Hart's 1879 List

Storey, Richard, 17th Foot

QM 4 June 1861
Hon. Capt. 31 May 1876
Half Pay 31 May 1876

Qr. Master Storey served with the 2nd Battalion 60th Rifles throughout the Kaffir war of 1851-53 (Medal). Also the campaign of 1860 in North China (Medal with two Clasps).

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 March 08 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Following Fordy's info, I can spot him now on the medal roll for the Kaffir War.
At that time he was a Colour Sgt - no extra info though.
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline Sturdy

• RootsChat Member
  • John PARK and Louisa Jane PARK (nee STOREY) 1889
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 March 08 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much gentlemen. You have given me a great starting point.

Very much appreciated.

Sturdy
STOREY Family London (Spitialfields, Shoreditch, Lambeth, Wandsworth) & Ballarat Aust 

PARK family Glasgow

MILLS (MILES) Family Kirkmaiden - Wigtownshire, Glasgow & Geelong Vic and Moulamein NSW, Aust

MILLER family London (Bethnal Green, Mile End Old Town) & Auckland, NZ

AVON family Cobh, Queenstown, Cashel (HUSSEY Family), Ireland & Melbourne Australia -

Offline Vivendi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 19:13 BST (UK) »
No John William Storey on the China 1860 medal roll I'm afraid.

We do though have 4543 Sgt-Major Richard Storey, 2/60th Rifles.
Very probably the same man as your Quartermaster. QM was a commissioned rank, but traditionally went to a man who'd risen though the ranks. Many ex Sgt-Majors became QMs.

Indeed the LG confirms it. "Sgt-Major Richard Storey to be Quartermaster. 4th June 1861" He exchanged to the 20th Regt on 21st April 1863.

Offline Vivendi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I am searching for a RICHARD STOREY or STORY who was an Army Sergeant.
His daughter Ann or Annie was born in Ireland c.1848
I don't have much information to go on - this information comes from Annie's Death Certificate.
I desperately need some help please.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
It would be better if you asked a moderator to turn your post into a new question. Some people will not look at posts in threads that have been marked complete.

I don't suppose you have a county or town in Ireland where Anne was born? Most British regiments served in Ireland at some point. In any one year there are likely to be 25-30 regiments in Ireland.

I would first look on the regimental BMDs on Findmypast (and supposedly on Ancestry) for her birth. These start before civil registration and include some 'home' events. They are however not complete. If you get a hit you can order the certificate from the UK GRO.

You can also look to see if his service records are on Findmypast. However they only kept the records of men who were discharged to pension. If you find one you can see if he was in Ireland c1848. Even then you cannot be certain you have the right man. so further information will be required - such as the births of other children, census entries etc.

You may find more possibilities by also looking at the medal rolls on Ancestry.

Ken