Author Topic: PLUNKETT  (Read 2780 times)

Offline revmother2

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
PLUNKETT
« on: Saturday 15 March 08 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks
My brother has just got the results of his dna test - it shows that we are descended from the O'Neils from Derry, or perhaps Connaught.
Or from  niall of the nine hostages in the 5th century.
Sadly, not the Plunketts of Dunsany and St Oliver Plunkett.
In my research I have got the line back to early 1800s in London, but no further. That was Edward Plunkett.
so not sure what I'm asking for help with - but I wanted to proclaim my Irish heritage to somebody!  ;D 8) 8)
Maybe there are some of the thousands of PLunketts descended from Niall out there who are also Plunketts that would like to drop in for a chat, and who knows even get a link to something a bit closer to now  8) :)
best wishes
revmother
England - mainly Leicestershire -Plunkett (and London), Kibby, Springthorpe, Gittins, Bates, Forman, Stevenson, Crofts, Growdridge, Flower, Wigston, Ward , and in Scotland - McLauchlan, Paterson, Aughton, Speirs, McCallum, Gray, Gemmell, Hillhouse, Fredrick etc.......<br />Ayrshire mostly

Offline OTTO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: PLUNKETT
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 March 08 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Congratulations on your link to Ireland.
I must admit I was gobsmacked when I read this post. I have never heard or known that dna could be used to connect to ancient Irish citizens. How exactly did this come about, as I am sure other rootschatters would like to know.

OTTO

Offline revmother2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 March 08 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi OTTO
try this link
www.familytreedna.com
its not cheap but it might just be worth it.
we had a family tradition that we came from Ireland with a name like like Plunkett, but so far we haven't even now discovered when they came to England.
good hunting! amazing what a scrape from the inside of your mouth can tell you!
regards
revmother
England - mainly Leicestershire -Plunkett (and London), Kibby, Springthorpe, Gittins, Bates, Forman, Stevenson, Crofts, Growdridge, Flower, Wigston, Ward , and in Scotland - McLauchlan, Paterson, Aughton, Speirs, McCallum, Gray, Gemmell, Hillhouse, Fredrick etc.......<br />Ayrshire mostly

Offline charismayo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 May 08 16:12 BST (UK) »
Dear RevMother,

Greetings from an American Plunkett. When I started this research, of course I hoped I would learn that we were related to St. Oliver (and the Vatican had mislaid our invitation to his canonization), or to the Dunsanys (who had mislaid our invitation to tea), but now I am very happy just to know where we came from: Kilbride Parish, County Cavan. My great-great-grandparents, George Plunkett and Catherine Cooke Plunkett somehow managed to keep the family going through the Famine. My great-grandfather, Hugh, was born in 1852; a younger son, he was sent to America while still a teenager, to New Haven, Connecticut, to live with relatives of his mother. The Plunkett men in my family are marked by intelligence, courage, and a spirit of gentleness.

In my research so far, I have not come across an "Edward," but the geographical wellspring is indeed the area where Cavan, Meath, and Westmeath come together. (I would take a look at the 1796 Flax-growers Lists, and even the 1821 census, which survives for some townships in that area, to see if you can find some Edwards.)

If you haven't read it, "In the Blood" by Geraldine Plunkett Dillon is, well, hard to describe. She was the sister of Joseph Mary Plunkett, and this is a family memoir. The problem is that her mother (not a Plunkett!) was a seriously malicious person, and although Geraldine has a terrific, vivid style, it makes for troubling reading. The best chapter, and well worth the slog through all the Edwardian-era dysfunction, is her account of life in Galway in the years immediately after the 1916 Rising -- the clandestine organizing, the arrival of the Black and Tans -- all first-hand accounts. Riveting.

Best wishes,
charismayo

Offline scarletmill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 June 08 17:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Revmother,

My ggrandmother's 2nd marraige was to a Robert John Plunkett from Fermanagh N.Ireland - his family is susposedly a direct line to St. Oliver Plunkett. He remarried a third time after her death - a bit of a lad I assume in his 60's !!

Best wishes

June

Researching : McClinton, Stafford, Harrison, McMullan, Boyd
Co. Antrim, Tyrone and Derry
McClinton, Boyd, McCreight (Belfast, Templepatrick , Carmoney and Killead/Ballyhill Townlands),
McMullan, McGurk, McLeister, Taylor, Glass, McKillop, McCaughern (Rasharkin, Dunloy and Portglenone - Tamlaght)
Harrison, Stafford, Plunkett (Tyrone and Armagh)
Coulter/Coalter, Foster (Fermanagh)
Lougheed, Gibson (Co.Cavan)
McVeigh, Edgar (Belfast and Co.Down)
Shannon (Co.Monaghan)