Author Topic: Cockerill Family Brickwall  (Read 5144 times)

Offline tarnee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Cockerill Family Brickwall
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 April 12 04:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary,

Sorry l have not got back to you sooner as it has been Easter and l had family staying so impossible to do any search.

My  mistake with the name Cotterill should have been Cockerill must read what l type in future.

Today l have gone through all my files, the Seaby side l have more information than on the Cockerill side. What l do have on the Cockerill l have not been able to tie together as being concrete information in turn l have not researched all of John and Frances children's names often they are a clue to grandparents and great grandparents. Frances Cockerill it states on her marriage to John is of this parish  it being Northampton and John of Weston Flavell All Saints 29-Jul-1819.

As l have said being in Australia it is hard at times to get extra information l was lucky that someone found the headstones of John & Frances and sent me a photo.

l know this is not much help to you then again we both might have the same information and not know we have the correct family.

l am very happy to work with you and see if we can work out if our families are connected.

Jean
Graham, Grundy, Wilson:- Birkenhead
Graham, Sharp, Hodgson, Sherwen:- Workington
Fulford,Braithwaite,Blanchard,Hackforth,Ward,White:- Lincolnshire
Seaby, Cockerill:- Northamptonshire.
Wiseman,Smith:- Warwickshire
Upton, Gentle:- Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire.
Wall, Curtis, Felts, Thoms:- Bedfordshire.
Davis, Smallman:- Shropshire.
Wilcox:- Worcestershire.
Young, Renwick:- Berwick upon Tweed.
Plante:- Stafford, Warwickshire.

Offline Jillybean19

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 April 12 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Jean, good to hear back from you.  I live in Canada and we had what I hope will be the last snowstorm of the season over the weekend; we are looking forward to spring!

These are my ideas about investigating whether or not our Cockerill families are the same one or not:

- Being that my gggggrandfather William Cockerill is a brickwall for me, as your gggggrandfather John is for you, they do come from the same general area and the same era, and the children of both carry the same first names  which can be a good indicator of the names of earlier generations, I would like to work with you to see if each of our family lines are one and the same, or not.  I hope to find that they are brothers or cousins.

These are a couple of my current thoughts on how we might go about doing this, being that documented records for both cannot be found to date:

1. I would send you a list of my William's early descendants for your information to help you to follow who we are talking about when working through individual family members.  I would need your e-mail address to do that. Also, similar information from you, if it isn't a lot of extra work for you to do, would help me to do the same.  This seems like a good starting point for us. I would also appreciate whatever information you have about your John and also about the Richard you mentioned who married Elizabeth Wingrave in 1801, Richard possibly a brother or a cousin to one/ both of them??

2. Do you know of any current living male descendants of your gggggrandfather John Cockerill who would want to participate in the Cockerill DNA study that has been done  and includes my branch of the Cockerill family and also of the Lancashire branch of the Cockerill family? That alone would determine if your branch is the same as either of those that have already taken part in it, and we would know if we're the same family or not.

3. Do you know of any direction connection the Cockerill family has with the one spelled Cotterill?  I ask this because there are no Cockerill's in the area my gggggrandtather William lived in, but there are many Cotterill's recorded there and so I'm wondering if this is a point in time where the spelling changed??

Thanks again for all your time and attention with this!

Mary

Offline Sarah williamson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 November 15 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi I don't know if our cockerills are connected Northampton area ect please have a look at my tree on ancestry. Sarah Williamson. Might be of some use xx