Author Topic: Help Please - Royal Scot Fusiliers  (Read 607 times)

Offline AussieGenealogy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Great GrandMother Daisy Bachellier
    • View Profile
Help Please - Royal Scot Fusiliers
« on: Monday 17 March 08 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I'm trying to pinpoint a person that served in the Royal Scot Fusiliers I have a number and name but want to find out where he was born,tried ancestry this morning in the military side but no joy. I assume that he was WW1 member.
Is there any sites that I can type in his name & number?
I only have an initial and surname.
Thanks
annette
Bachellier - Bethnal Green and France
Gaucheron - France
Saumon- France
Godran - France
Rossignol - France
Heggie - Fife Scotland
Forsyth - Glasgow Scotland
MCLennan - Glasgow Scotland
Melville - Lanarkshire?
Wright - Lincolnshire
Dalton - Licolnshire
Hutton Lanarkshire
Winch - Kent UK
Northwood - Shropshire/Montgomeryshire Wales

ITS NOT CHARLES  - ITS GEORGE CHARLES VELINDER FAWCETT!!
Currently renovating
Census information is Crown Copyright from National Archives,gov.uk

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help Please - Royal Scot Fusiliers
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 05:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette

You may have to wait for Ancestry to complete two projects. Firstly, they are publishing the 'burnt' documents (WO363). These are the companion records to the 'pensions' files (WO364), which should now be fully available on their site. The last update I saw said that they were working on the 'burnt' documents for men with surnames beginning A to C, and have completed only the As. The surnames listed with surnames beginning D to Z were misfiled under A to C.

One error by Ancestry is that they do not only include WW1 records. They are actually the records of men discharged between 1914 and 1920 (inclusive), which is not the same thing. But then being Americans it took them three years to realise that WW1 had started!

If you are still with me, the second is the publication of the Medal Index Cards. You can download a B&W copy from the NA website for £3.50. Ancestry are putting online colour scans of the same cards. This also includes a scan of the back of the card. In 1-2% of cases there is information on the back, usually an address, which may help with further research.

Being in colour helps with reading the often confusing writing on the cards. My own simple analysis shows that over 40% of cards are already online. So if you have an Ancestry account I suggest you try them first. Here is a link - http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1262.

Ken