Author Topic: HMAS Sydney found  (Read 4324 times)

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HMAS Sydney found
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 05:15 GMT (UK) »
Beggars belief..what is the world coming too.   :(

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline giraffe

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 March 08 22:29 GMT (UK) »
I sympathise and agree with all these comments, especially about the 'Sydney'.
But - about the RAF uniforms - just who is it abusing the airmen?
When I was a young teenager I lived in a Shropshire village near an airfield, which was still run by the RAF (I think until about 1958). The airmen often used to come to the Saturday Night Hop at the local Village Hall, and there were often 'scraps' between them and the local lads. No-one blamed either side, it was looked on as a kind of tribal warfare between the young men,  and because there was never any serious injury, (more a kind of rattling tail feathers at one another), everyone tolerated it, and avoided it if possible. Bit like a school playground fight. I wonder if it is the same in Peterborough, but the press have blown it up to sell papers? Not living in the area or having heard the reports, it just sounded the same scenario to me, rather than outright disrespect for our Servicemen?
giraffe 
PRICE Edward (c.1860)  Harry PRICE (1891) Frank PRICE (c.1897), Arthur PRICE (1884). Compton, Tettenhall, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire.
GARFIELD, Edgbaston and Wolverhampton
JOHNSON, Wolverhampton and Bilston
ATKINS, Wolverhamptonand Bilston

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 March 08 08:09 BST (UK) »
giraffe,
 I doubt very much that this is just a scrap between the young local lads and the servicemen. If that was so there would not be this ridiculous political sensibility- that has been going on for years but not with this reaction.    That it has happened at this time, I'd guess, without knowing the details of the populace of the district, that the abuse is coming from those who dislike to airmen being overseas fighting- to put it very obliquely. I don't think this is about uniforms per se , but about the freedoms we treasure and which we must be vigilant to maintain.

It would be good if the local Returned Servicemen's associations, could be mobilised to turn out at the Peterborough War memorial for some commemortation  assuming there is a local war memorial.  Such a turn out  would give the local servicemen some encouragement and be a force  to show that many in the town suuport our armed services and are appreciatibve of what they do fo us to maintain our freedoms.

charlotte

Offline giraffe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 30 March 08 12:49 BST (UK) »
Charlotte
I agree with your comment about 'putting on a show'. My home City (Worcester) did this for our Soldiers, and there was a big turnout to see (and presumably support)  them. Like you though, I don't know any details of the incident at Peterborough, but it is a big city. I wonder if the same kind of thing happens at other places where there are barracks nearby?
giraffe
PRICE Edward (c.1860)  Harry PRICE (1891) Frank PRICE (c.1897), Arthur PRICE (1884). Compton, Tettenhall, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire.

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 31 March 08 05:25 BST (UK) »
 giraffe,
Expressing appreciation  seems to be the very least we can do for our armed forces.  A couple of years ago I was present when a soldier who had been on active service told the story about when he had been in an airport lounge in uniform a woman stopped by him and said something like "Thank you very much for what you are doing for us and tfor he country" .  He said it had meant far more to him than anyone could imagine coming spontaeously from a stranger.
Perhaps we could tell others about this and start a "Thank a serviceman" campaign.   WE need to make our iews known to politicians and also to the troops individually as well as collectively.

Off I go to look for a soldier!

charlotte

Offline giraffe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 31 March 08 17:31 BST (UK) »
Charlotte,
I think that is a lovely idea, but I am so sentimental I could only give them a written note - if I tried to say it I would probably bawl my eyes out!
Anyway, when you find a soldier/airmal/sailor save one for me? Mal f course!!
Just a thought, what about our Servicewomen too?
giraffe

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 01 April 08 06:54 BST (UK) »

Hi giraffe,  I used the term serviceman in the sense of " human being". 
Looked all around today when out and couldn't see any service person in unfirm.. drat.
If you find one first, try to say heelo and thank you- I'll bet you can do it without tears- think what it might mean to them.
charlotte

Offline giraffe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 01 April 08 21:31 BST (UK) »
Charlotte,
I promise I will the next time I see one, though I wonder if more than one Barracks has given its service personnel the same order as the Peterborough one, as uniforms do seem thin on the ground around here. Of course, they could be abroad . . . . .
giraffe

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 02 April 08 16:31 BST (UK) »

Hi girraffe,
Just learned that giraffes have no vocal chords so maybe you'll have to hand over a thank you note  as you said you might!

Still no luck finding a soldier.

charlotte