Author Topic: Dissappeared COOK  (Read 1057 times)

Offline claretnblue

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dissappeared COOK
« on: Monday 17 March 08 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

can anyone help regards a girl christened Grace Darling Astley COOK in 1865 Shipton.   Her mother was Louisa COOK born 1847 Harswell.

I have Grace living with single parent mother Louisa in Shipton in 1871, along with sibling Robert William COOK who was born 1868 Smeaton, North Yorks.

Louisa married Frank ROBINSON 1872 and they moved north to Ormesby, North Yorks from Shipton, however the is no trace of Grace Darling Astley COOK after 1871...

Can anyone help me find her? 

Thanks Ed.

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dissappeared COOK
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 March 08 10:05 GMT (UK) »

Grace COOK, aged 25, born Skipton Yorks is a college servant at The Castle, Palace Green, Durham in  1891.  (RG12/4103; Folio 11; Page 16)

The image does look like "Skipton", but I wonder if it's a copying error? 

I can't see anyone likely in 1881 at the moment.

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline claretnblue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 March 08 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Grace's younger brother Robert William COOK was on later census's as Robert William ROBINSON taking his step fathers surname, so maybe Grace took on the ROBINSON surname too.. or perhaps she took on her paternal father's surname, whoever that may have been?  or maybe she died or married between 1871 and 1881?  I can't find trace of her though   ???

Thanks

Ed.

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 March 08 10:35 GMT (UK) »
I looked for her under COOK(E), ROBINSON, ASTLEY and no surname at all....but nothing obvious stands out.

There's a Grace Darling ROBINSON who marries in Middlesbrough in 1905, but there's a probable birth under the same name in Middlesbrough in 1882, so I'm inclined to rule that one out.

She would only be 15 in 1881, so is unlkely to be married - old enough to be working away from home, though.  I can't see a death either!

An elusive lass....  ::)

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Offline claretnblue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 March 08 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

from the IGI website her father is down as a Peter COOK... but i'm not sure this is correct, maybe a made up fathers name, as i know her mother was christened Louisa COOK as I have her birth cert.

Louisa was daughter of william COOK and rebecca THORPE, and she is living in their houshold in the 1871 census with children Grace Darling and Robert William.  I'm not sure what the Astley connection is... maybe true paternal fathers name...

Ed.

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 March 08 12:02 GMT (UK) »
How odd - the IGI entry is an extracted record, so that's what is in the baptismal register.  I'm surprised Louisa could get away with inventing a husband for the baptism... ???  (Although some of mine did the same thing for the civil registration.)

Middle names of illegitimate children are sometimes a clue to the father's identity as you suggest, unless the name crops up elsewhere in Louisa's family.

I can only see one Peter Cook in Yorkshire on the 1861 census, and he's married to an Ann - but interestingly, he's living in the district where Grace's birth was registered.  (His family has moved to Manchester by 1871.)

Rambler