Author Topic: Alice MANTELEY b abt 1786 m John WILLMORE 11 Apr 1811  (Read 1956 times)

Offline SouthernLight

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alice MANTELEY b abt 1786 m John WILLMORE 11 Apr 1811
« on: Tuesday 18 March 08 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am looking for anything to do with Alice MANTELEY or her family.  I have googled the surname and it appears to be Brazilian or something.  Does anyone know how a Brazilian name would get to Lincolnshire? ???

Alice (according to all the censii) was born in Winterton.  Alice and John were married in Grasby, Caistor (batch M028633 ), where they lived all their married life.  John was born in Searby Cum Owmby.

If anyone has access to this marriage record, I would be grateful for a lookup to see if any parents are recorded (though in 1811 I'm not too hopeful).

Thanks in advance

Leah

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alice MANTELEY b abt 1786 m John WILLMORE 11 Apr 1811
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 09:47 GMT (UK) »
There were MANTLEY(ish) children bap in Winterton around that time-

Eleanor MANTLEY 10 March 1792
Rebeca MANKLEY 30 Jan 1790
 ...children of John MANKNAIL and Rebecca ELLIS (wid) who married there in 29 Sept

A Robert MANTLEY married Mary HALES there in 1792.  There were also MANKNELL marriages there around that time.

Forget Brazil. ;)

Winterton IGI batches
M033811
C033811

EDIT: It could be significant that John and Alice had a daughter called Rebecca.
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline SouthernLight

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alice MANTELEY b abt 1786 m John WILLMORE 11 Apr 1811
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this... I didn't really think it would be Brazillian but was at a loss as to how to search for it, when Alice is clearly shown as MANTELEY on all her important dates.

I'll have another gander at the names you have indicated... they do look promising, just got to find that link.

Thanks again

Leah