Author Topic: Patrick O'connor  (Read 2847 times)

Offline BUZZ

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Patrick O'connor
« on: Tuesday 18 March 08 09:58 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find any information on a Patrick O'connor. All i know about him is that he had a daughter Ann who was born in Tralee in approx. 1823 she moved to London and married Richard Goldsbrough in Holborn on 29/11/1841 if anybody has any information on Patrick i would be very grateful.

Offline BUZZ

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick O'connor
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Patrick's profession on Ann's marriage certificate is Slater.
On the 1851 census Richard and Ann have living with them a Ann Connor a widow age 55 and a Bridget Welsh age 12 both born in Dublin.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 18:03 GMT (UK) »
The birthdates of the people you've mentioned are all too early for civil registration of births in Ireland so you'll have to search for church records (if they still exist). To do so you need to know the family's religion and where they lived in Ireland (parish if not actual townland).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BUZZ

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 March 08 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Aghadowey
Many thanks for your reply.
I would be grateful if you could advise me on how I find out a family's religion.  Would inputting Tralee be sufficient or would I need to be more specific. If Tralee is made up of a number of Parishes, would you know their names?
Buzz

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 March 08 16:50 GMT (UK) »
www.thecore.com/seanruad is good for finding details of townlands and parishes in Ireland (be sure to change default setting from exact match to search for part of a name). Not sure if there are any better sites for Co. Kerry.
'Tralee' might refer to an exact place or a larger area. Some church records have been microfilmed by LDS- you can check their catalogue online at www.familysearch.org.
To find the family's religion you could try finding out where they got maried, baptised their children and were buried  in England.
O'Connor is a very common surname in Ireland and even if you do find records for an Ann O'Connor with father named Patrick it will be difficult to know if you have the correct person. That's one reason why townland names are so important to identify families.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!