Author Topic: arthur horan ww1  (Read 1929 times)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: arthur horan ww1
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 March 08 17:02 GMT (UK) »

It is a bit confusing. The cross with four dots against Cheshire Regt should indicate that the VM and British (War Medal) was impressed with his Cheshire Regt details. However they list a MGC medal roll. Also, as said previously the MGC was formed after he entered the French theatre of war. (1) is the code for France and Flanders.

13598 is an early (ish) number, and the date of 6 September 1915 for entering France tallies with the 12th Battalion of the Cheshire Regiment. From the Great War Forum:

12th (Service) Battalion:

Formed at Chester in September 1914 as part of K3 and attached as Army Troops to 22nd Division. Moved to Seaford and by December 1914 was in billets in Eastbourne.
February 1915: transferred to 66th Brigade, 22nd Division. Moved to Aldershot in June 1915 and landed at Boulogne on 6 September 1915 but by November 1915 was at Salonika.

Maybe he was transferred to the MGC rather than go with the Cheshires to Greece.

I would suggest you post a question on http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php? asking a Cheshires expert if they know when 13598 was allocated, and also the battalion. You could do the same with the MGC. I would put the regiments in the question title to attract the right experts.

Ken

Offline bbstport

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 March 08 19:10 GMT (UK) »
o.k. will do that ken but what did you glean from the cards of robert barrow and daniel carroll ??
thanks
belinda
Carroll - salford, stockport yorkshire and ireland
Horan - stockport and ireland
Barrow - cumbria
Turner - stockport
McLoughlan - Altrincham, Stockport and Ireland

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 March 08 07:32 GMT (UK) »

Not much to this one. He only received two medals because he did not go to war before the end of 1915. Again you will have to post a question on the Great War Forum to find out when 29974 was allocated, and the battalion. If you get no joy you or your researcher will have to visit Kew and look up the actual roll - J/2/101 - B12, page 3628. This will tell you the battalion, and possibly when he enlisted.

BTW - this MIC is available for free on Ancestry, and it's in colour.

You also need to read the link sent to you by the NA - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/medals.asp

Regarding Barrow you will have to tell me which one you are interested in.

Ken

Offline bbstport

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 22 March 08 18:49 GMT (UK) »
robert barrow - royal engineerss 2260523 regiment pioneer]royal engineers wr25485 pioneer
regards
belinda
Barrow - cumbria
Turner - stockport

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 March 08 20:03 GMT (UK) »

13598 is an early (ish) number, and the date of 6 September 1915 for entering France tallies with the 12th Battalion of the Cheshire Regiment. From the Great War Forum:

12th (Service) Battalion:

Formed at Chester in September 1914 as part of K3 and attached as Army Troops to 22nd Division. Moved to Seaford and by December 1914 was in billets in Eastbourne.
February 1915: transferred to 66th Brigade, 22nd Division. Moved to Aldershot in June 1915 and landed at Boulogne on 6 September 1915 but by November 1915 was at Salonika.

Maybe he was transferred to the MGC rather than go with the Cheshires to Greece.

I would suggest you post a question on http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php? asking a Cheshires expert if they know when 13598 was allocated, and also the battalion. You could do the same with the MGC. I would put the regiments in the question title to attract the right experts.

Ken

As for the 12th Cheshires and th 22nd Div...

By the 9th September they were positioned around Flesselles north of Amiens. On the 18th they took over from French units on part of the of the front line on the Amiens-St Quentin Road.
They remained there until 23rd Oct  when they began to make ready to move to Macedonia.

The battalion machine gunners were remustered into the MGC after they were formed

One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline bbstport

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 March 08 18:10 GMT (UK) »
ken i have been trying to post a message on the site you told me but for some reason everytime i try to register it just freezes up dont know if it is me or the site - i will try again - if not maybe it is something i am doing wrong and willl have to try to learnn more about computing b4 i try again
belinda
Barrow - cumbria
Turner - stockport