Author Topic: Jean Gordon Gullen  (Read 2318 times)

Offline Grace.A.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Jean Gordon Gullen
« on: Wednesday 19 March 08 06:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am looking for the marriage of Jean Gordon Gullen to either a Mitkelsen or Midkelsen.   Jean was born in Lucknow, India in 1913.   In 1916/1917 Mrs. Agnes Gordon Gullen and her two daughters Jean and Surina (known as Ina) emigrated from England to Canada and by 1917 they were in Vernon B.C.  On 21 November 1929 Anges Gordon Gullen married Thomas Rose Hendry.   When Agnes Gordon Hendry died on 7 October 1972 at Vanvouver, the informant was her daughter J. Mitkelsen or Midkelsen who was living at 8655 Selkirk Street, Vancouver at that time.   Jean would have been 20 in 1933 and probably married close to that date.   Also would be interested to find a marriage for her sister Surina (Ina) who was born in 1915 and would have been 20 in 1935. Would appreciate any information.   Many thanks,  Grace Parker

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jean Gordon Gullen
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Just by looking at first names, at:
http://search.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/sn-3605CB7/gbsearch/Births,Marriages,Deaths
There's a Surina Carington Brind who died in North Vancouver in 1944, aged 28.

http://www.raogk.org/bcolumbia.htm - you might be able to find someone here who can find obituaries for you.

The problem with finding the marriages themselves is that you run into the privacy laws. Hopefully an obituary will clarify the last name of Jean and let you know something about her sister.

Which cemetery was Agnes buried in? You could also look for other relatives in the same cemetery.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Grace.A.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jorose for your reply.   
The mother Agnes Gordon Hendry was buried at Capilano View Cemetery, West Vancouver.    Can you help me please with an address as to where I can find burials at this cemetery.
Thanks,
Grace

Offline jfremont

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 March 08 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello Grace,

I visited the local library today and got the death record for Surina Carington Brind. It would appear she is the right one and was also buried in the Capilano Cemetery. This cemetery which is close by to where I live is owned and operated by the City of West Vancouver. The building on site is small and obviously does not house records. Maybe you have checked their website http://www.westvancouver.ca/article.asp?c=686
They don't show an email address but the address given is City Hall so think if you were to email to the general address at city hall, you should find out whether you can obtain records.
Unfortunately the local library does not have microfilms for newspapers that go back to 1944, otherwise I would have looked for an obit. I would have to go to the main downtown branch to get that. I may get there sometime in the coming weeks if it would help you.
In the meantime I will PM you about the record.

John

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 March 08 04:29 GMT (UK) »
Here is a link for the cemetery.
(I couldn't see them listed, but then it probably isn't finished)

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=639354

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie