Author Topic: TREASE/TRAIES continued...  (Read 98619 times)

Offline gardenerbob

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: TREASE/TRAIES continued...
« Reply #441 on: Friday 24 June 22 15:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info. I need to study it a bit more but I know for certain that I did not have the Roger Pomeroy/Wills Brixham marriage. Since this thread began I have added more information on Thomas Wyvell  to the trease website here
http://www.trease.org.uk/traies/txt/txw00.htm#10t_tw
I may post more after I've studied the information you sent more. If I find any further references to Pomeroy or other relevant families I'll add them to this thread. Many thanks, Bob

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: Friday 24 June 22 16:57 BST (UK) »
Roger Pomeroy of Brixham his ancestry here on my website
https://sites.google.com/site/pomeroytwigs2/sir-thomas-pomeroy-1547

1539 Baron Thomas Pomeroy Esq., organised the marriage of his younger brother Hugh of Tregony and the marriage settlement was drafted by Sir John Russell.
Hugh Pomeroy wife was to be Johan Borman or Bowerman and niece to Sir John. This settlement served as an entail which saved Tregony and Stockleigh Pomeroy from the sale of 1547 coming into play many years later, bringing Tregony back into the hands of Roger Pomeroy, of Sandridge

Roger Pomeroy b 1629 married Jane Wyvell /Willis dau of Joan wife of  Elias Wyvell of Saltash who left Joan and her children 40/- in her will-
Mentioned in  the 1667  Will of JOAN WYVELL widow of Egloskerry, are the grandchildren of  Joan Wyvell :- Ellias Pomeroy, Joane Pomeroy , Elizabeth Pomeroy 

Date & place of marriage has not been found either in FindMyPast or in Cornwall OPC or in Visiations
However the Civil War might account for this 

Mr Roger Pomeroy FindMyPast & the Parish Register
Mr Roger Pomeroy Bb  Baptism  20 Sep 1629 Stoke Gabriel
 Entry includes -  buried 23 July 1708 in Brixham

Pomeroy in London & Liverpool , Pomery near Launceston Cornwall, Shearer of Thurso, Moore in Colchester and Hornblow in Braintree Essex, Machin in Hackney & Stafford & Cook in Herts, Campbell, Sutherland, Mackay, Brotchie, Gunn in Thurso Caithness. Cadle in South Africa.

researching the Pomeroy Family of Collaton in Newton Ferrers and St Columb in Cornwall

Offline Mark Smith Australia

• RootsChat Extra
  • I come from the land down-under.
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: Sunday 30 October 22 05:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob,
I am writing about your wonderful research into the Trease family history, especially managing the website.   I have been researching on and off for about 25 years and I think that I came across the Trease website about 10 years ago.
My great grandmother was Daisy Trayes Halliday (1874-1955), the daughter of Thomas Halliday and Alice Webb.   Alice Webb was born in Bath Somerset in 1833 and died in Victoria, Australia in 1887.   Her parents were William Webb (1808-1872) and Eliza Trayes (abt 1809-1854), married Walcot Somerset on 10 Apr 1831.   Both died in Victoria.   I see that you have some details on Eliza on your website and that you are not sure where Eliza fits into the main Trease family.   I have a copy of Eliza’s death certificate which states her parents as John Trayes and Elizabeth Trayes.   The informant on the death certificate was not a family member (that I am aware of), most likely a local ‘agent’ in the area who recorded the details.   Death certificates are notorious for errors!   So I am keeping an open mind about the accuracy of the information.
Over the last couple of days I found on the FamilySearch website an entry for an Eliza Trays – baptised on 26 Jul 1808, at Walcot St Swithin, Somerset, England, parents William Trays and Elizabeth.   A search of the register index on Ancestry found no details, but a looking through the digitised pages on Ancestry I found the actual entry.   Ancestry has interpreted the record as “Eliza Frays”.   It could go either way!
Further searching unearthed the baptism of a Jane Trayes – 6 Jan 1805 Bath St James Somerset, appears to be a Bishop’s transcript, parents William Trayes and Elizabeth.   Indexed and image on Ancestry.   Also a marriage between William Treays and Elizabeth Moore on 11 Apr 1802 in Bath Somerset.   I could only find the index entry on FamilySearch, not on Ancestry.   The church was listed as Bath St James, but also as “SS Peter & Paul”, so a little confusing.   I looked for the digitized images on Ancestry but the marriage registers don’t appear to be in the Ancestry records.
I did a brief search in your website but couldn’t link to Jane or William and Elizabeth Moore.   I will keep searching, but I thought that you may find the above of interest to help prove or disprove the link between your Trease family and Eliza Trayes.
King regards,
Mark Smith
Canberra, Australia

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: Sunday 30 October 22 09:16 GMT (UK) »
The St James marriage register is on Ancestry. William Treays and ElizabethMoore, at https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/60858/images/42886_1831109331_1253-00305

You may find the FreeREG site useful. It includes all surviving pre-1837 parish registers from the Bath area and, although not perfect, is usually more accurate than Ancestry. As well as the records you've found they also show a burial for a child Jane Troys in March 1805.

There is also a Mary Trais, aged 60, from St James but buried at the Workhouse in May 1809. (This one Ancestry have got right but FreeREG has "Travis".)

David

Offline gardenerbob

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: Sunday 30 October 22 12:40 GMT (UK) »
I have looked at the trease references for Bristol link below: -[url]http://www.trease.org.uk/trr/trr_ewe.htm#bat_rd/url]
William had two daughter by Elizabeth Moore - Jane bap Jan1805 bur Mar1805 and Eliza bap 1808.
The second daughter married William WEBB on 10thApr1831. I need to add this marriage to the references. Fairly sure this was Eliza d/o Elizabeth Moore as one witness to her marriage was Mary Ann MOORE.  I think I know who the father of  Eliza was. I just need to check and will get back to you - if I am right there could be a fascinating story there. FRAYS is such a common transcription error for TRAYS  that I always do an alternative search for the surname with an F as well as a T. Thank you ever so much for your information.  I think it unravels part of the family tree. We may be distant rellies!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: Monday 31 October 22 04:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,
Thanks for that, it makes things a bit clearer.   I think that every time I conduct a records search I get a different result, even when I think that I have used the same search parameters!

Hi Bob,
I am glad that info was of some use and look forward to seeing how Eliza fits in to the whole, huge, Trease tree.   If I can help let me know.
Mark

Offline gardenerbob

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: Saturday 05 November 22 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Although Eliza’s parents can’t be found in Bath after her baptism, she appears to marry 20 years later in the same parish and a relative of her mother appears to be a witness. If her mother died while Eliza was a baby, her mother’s relatives may have looked after her.  I think her father may be the following William.
http://www.trease.org.uk/trt/trt17w_gg.htm#18w_sa
If so, Eliza’s mother may have died soon after Eliza’s birth and possibly before her baptism. After 1833 Eliza went to live in London a short walking distance from where the above mentioned William lived.
I can't find a burial for Eliza TREAYS - an Eliza MOORE was buried on 23Mar1809 Walcot. Have you any info on the MOORE family?

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: Sunday 06 November 22 04:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob,
I quite like your thoughts that Elizabeth Moore may have been this particular William’s first wife.   It all seems to fit, especially considering that Eliza and William Webb moved to London very close to William (her possible father).
I have no more info on the Moore family as yet.   I only started down this path last week when I found the possible baptism of Eliza Trays.
I will PM you shortly.
Mark

Offline AWilton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: Monday 17 April 23 18:01 BST (UK) »
Recently found the Trease Family History webpage and this and it's been very helpful.  I'm a direct descendant of Philippa Runnalls and Charles Wilton in Canada.  The Wilton's have been good at recording their information but had no Runnalls information.  Last summer visiting several cemeteries found multiple Runnalls tombstones was able to start putting the pieces together.  The information here has confirmed that I was on the right track.